Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLoved it, really enjoyable
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699990&mesg_id=705043
705043, Loved it, really enjoyable
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Nov-26-15 10:32 AM
Stallone and Michael B are great in their own right and then you combine their chemistry, makes for some great moments. Tessa Thompson is a great compliment as well.

Coogler did his thing on this one...the pacing is tight, the script pays homage while still being corny (as Rocky always is) yet touching, and it's shot extremely well. The tracking shot in the first major fight is awesome, there are some excellent training/montage scenes, a nice throwback to the original running scene from Rocky that's updated, and the entire final fight, from intro to in-ring (and then combined with some great sound editing, especially as you can hear Rock from the corner shout instructions or encouragement here and there) is very well done. The soundtrack combined the infamous Rocky theme with modern tracks and does an excellent job of simmering with the scenes rather than being intrusive.

As a fan of boxing and Rocky, I was already enjoying myself...but then you add in the performances, pacing, and the level of technical excellence, makes for a really good watch. Kudos, I'll definitely be watching this again.