Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSpoiler:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697555&mesg_id=706927
706927, Spoiler:
Posted by denny, Sat Jan-09-16 10:23 PM
So is Daisy's character symbolic of white supremacy/privilege?

Or is that an oversimplification/reading too much into it?

I'm trying to put it together to see if it holds water.....

So slavery has been abolished......Daisy (as a symbol of white supremacy) is beaten and bruised but is still alive. And she is being held prisoner by a white man who holds her under wraps but doesn't want to kill her. Ie he's keeping his privilege in his back pocket in case he needs it. The fact that he is gonna cash in on her also kinda works in this regard. She is a currency for him just like privilege is....and though he might be 'less racist' than the other characters....he still wants her for the benefit she provides. She represents a pay-off for him.

Then when shit hits the fan and she is (somewhat) unleashed.....she offers up opportunity/advantage to the white character at the expense of the black character.

The surprise turn at the end to me was that the white character rejects her offer and decides to hang her with Sam Jackson. Why did he do that? There's a change somewhere in his character and I can't identify why that happened. Why didn't he cash in on the privilege that she represents? I'm guessing there's an answer for that I'm missing.

In anycase...then they hang her together in an oddly touching manner. They looked so cute and giddy together fastening that rope. So this would be a black and white man destroying white supremacy together which I guess would suggest that we ALL need to dismantle institutional racism. It's not enough for only the oppressed to fight white supremacy because of the nature of oppression. The people who benefit from the oppression need to do their part too. And that, in the end, it's in ALL of our interests to do so.

I'm kinda going on a limb here and I realize I might be doing too much. Anyone agree with this reading or have anything to add?