Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMan, been mulling this fucking thing over for like 5 days...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697555&mesg_id=706584
706584, Man, been mulling this fucking thing over for like 5 days...
Posted by The Analyst, Wed Dec-30-15 01:40 PM
Can't come down with a firm position yet.

Technically, it's a major accomplishment. Very easily his best looking movie, and one of the best looking of the year.

Many of the performances were excellent.

I loved the slow burn of everything pre-intermission. At halftime, I thought I may be in the midst of a near masterpiece.

I struggled with the second half a bit. At the very least, I don't think I've digested it entirely.

If you buy into the idea that it's a social commentary, it feels almost oppressively pessimistic to me (we're living in a society of complete mayhem that's still simmering with distrust, hate and inequality, that also lacks the capacity to apply justice correctly), yet the last shot oddly hits a note that almost sounds like something vaguely optimistic (hey, maybe someday future generations will get this American Dream thing figured out for once and for all).

With that said, I'm not still not sold on how he went about saying what he had to say. I'm not even sure I'm reading what he had to say correctly. There's a lot to chew on there. I'm still up in the air. Really need to see it again.