Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's only political in the loosest possible sense.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697555&mesg_id=706511
706511, It's only political in the loosest possible sense.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Dec-29-15 12:23 PM
This film is far more political, far more contemporary in its attempted message.

There's some loosely political stuff in Django tied to the nature of who he chose as his protagonist, but I don't see it as political filmmaking. And yes, I think the black man blasting the white girl *is* more for fun than for a deep political statement. In this revenge fantasy genre, the black man killing whitey is fun to see. That's why the deaths of the white people are staged in a comedic over-the-top style, complete with witty action-movie punchlines. The death of Miss Laura in *particular* is insanely goofy.

There's not much goofy about The Hateful Eight. It's nasty. Its points aren't underscored with one-liners, and its deaths, for the most part, are not comedically staged. Hence why I think the politics are far more deliberate in intention here.

You are entitled to your read, of course, which I'm familiar with, from the original Django post and this one. I just happen to disagree with what you're saying. Which is fine.