Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectA few really good performances stuck in an absolute mess of a movie.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697087&mesg_id=714595
714595, A few really good performances stuck in an absolute mess of a movie.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-05-16 12:50 AM
Pros:
- Will Smith. Old school movie star charisma. Works his ass off here and carries every scene he's in. He's genuinely the best hero in the DC Film Universe right now, despite the storytelling trying to butcher his story at every turn.
- Margot Robbie. Same deal. Oozes charisma. Genuinely funny, though the movie loses track of her toward the end with its ill-advised Joker subplot, and there are definitely holes in her story that confused me. An actual star.
- Viola Davis. Same deal again. Fucking star power. Creepy as shit. Capable of suggesting a whole story with a single line, which is good considering the amount of shoddy exposition she's given. Has the best line: "We put him in a hole and threw away the hole."
- Jay Hernandez. The gangbanger who's done fighting. I'd have watched his entire movie-- they should've given Ayer a small budget and told him to do an El Diablo origin. The fight at the end takes a weird turn that is never explained and doesn't really make sense, but whatever. He's got the most clear emotional arc in the film. Between this and Bad Moms, great couple of weeks for Hernandez.
- JAI COURTNEY! Yeah, he's given less than nothing to do, but at least he hams it up and sports his Aussie accent, which automatically makes him more interesting. He's working too hard to be funny, and his superpower fucking suuuuuucks (and people thought Hawkeye was lame with his bows and arrows!), but they put a constantly drunk boneheaded Aussie into the mix, and I dug it.

Cons:
- Editing is abysmal. Nonsensical. Pacing nonexistent. Flashbacks scattershot. Origin stories gone or dropped in at random or occasionally dropped in multiple times using the same footage and different points in the film. Reeks of studio interference more than any film this side of Fantastic Four.
- Worst villain I've ever seen in a superhero film. Period. Nothing about Enchantress is clear. Nothing about her brother is clear. The powers aren't clear. The army she builds... it's unclear how it happens and why. She just gyrates in front of a beam of light and speaks in other dimensional subtitles (and her other dimensional talk is, at times, clearly dubbed over her saying lines in English!).
- Joel Kinnaman tries his best, but you can see why they wanted Tom Hardy. You need a guy who can suggest a lot without saying a lot, and Kinnaman isn't really it. They also absolutely butcher his emotional arc, and the reveal of his relationship with Enchantress is hardly a reveal at all-- more repeated information cycled throughout the film, because the test audiences didn't understand. But repeating nonsensical information doesn't make things clearer-- it adds to the confusion.
- outside of one Deadshot sequence (you'll know the one), and a couple of shots of Harley Quinn, there's nothing remotely iconic here. For the problems I had with Nolan's movies, creating iconic moments and sequences was *not* one of them. I was *begging* for quality cinematography here. Maybe it existed at one point and was cut to shreds.
- Killer Croc is fucking embarrassing. A black thug stereotype. Ayer's been known to dive into racial stereotypes before, but Christ, man. I don't want to know the lines left on the cutting room floor. Or maybe these were reshot one-liners. Small, not-really-a-spoiler example: Amanda's asking the bad guys what they'd want from her. Croc chimes in, "BET." Cut later to a shot of him, hands in the air in his cell, chilling watching booties shake on the TV. EMBARRASSING. Killer Croc was dope in TAS. Not here. I felt bad for Adebisi.
- Jared Leto's Joker. First off, outside of the film, no clue why he played awful pranks on the cast-- he never interacts with anyone other than Harley! Second off, he's in four scenes, so good on him for getting second billing. Third off, they could and should have cut everything about him in this film. Fourth off, unless you like envisioning the Joker as a quasi-Scarface pimp type, you won't like this take. He's hammy and unfunny and doesn't generally feel like the Joker I know.
- The song cues. Screams "put in later in hopes of making the movie seem more fun." It doesn't work.
- Slipknot is fucking embarrassing. As is Katana. Why are they here?

So the movie's a fucking mess. It's enjoyable at times when the five actors up top are on screen, but the editing is nonsense, the story is a shambles, and the villain is an all-time low for comic book movies. Rental at absolute best. A lot of people are saying "better than BvS at least"... but I'm not even convinced it's *that* much better if at all. More enjoyable, maybe... but this movie is definitely more of a mess with a billion too many characters and obvious studio interference.