Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThat show Spartacus is a glorified 300 b.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=693230
693230, That show Spartacus is a glorified 300 b.
Posted by bwood, Sun Feb-22-15 12:18 PM
A few cats recommended me that show and I watched it over the past 3 weeks. They gotta grow up yo. This a show for 15 year old boys.

First all the nudity and sex was absolutely not needed and gratuitous. I mean Jesus Christ it was tits and tits and tits and tits with a cock thrown in every once in a while. It was not titillating in the slightest. For those of you who said Blue is the Warmest Color was pervy, this show is more so. I mean they had sex scenes of two dudes fucking, Nasir and Spartacus' homeboy, but even that felt thrown in and to balance out all the other shit. Which it didn't at all.

Continuing on that the rape of women AND men was sexualizied it was disgusting. I mean come on.

With that if it wasn't sex/nudity/rape, it was outlandish, cartoon-y violence. It got repetitive in that they would yell and slash each other up cut limbs and shit with blood splashes flying through the air.

And with that the slow motion which was clearly aping 300 and was used at any moment they could. Someone tripping and falling into the ground was in slow motion :/

And the language was unnecessary as well. Every other word was "cock", "ass", "cunt", or "fuck". Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with all of this but when it's this poorly written...

And finally, cats were telling me about the "plot twists". Um, for the first season they were decent at best. But the show is structured as such in that characters plot and scheme followed by violence followed by sex. It got fucking old quickly.

Also, even for TV the effects and general aesthetic looked cheap as fuck man.

Anyone here a fan of the show? Anyone else dislike it?
693237, like 8 eps deep. its dope so far
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Feb-22-15 01:05 PM
yeah it looks kinda cheap. and its gratuitious in every way. but its damn entertaining.
693239, The show peaks after the prequel miniseries. And that's not saying much
Posted by bwood, Sun Feb-22-15 01:50 PM
as the first season and the mini-series is decent at best.
693240, Looks like the first two seasons' posts are gone.
Posted by inpulse, Sun Feb-22-15 01:56 PM
These two are still around though:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=596496&mesg_id=596496&listing_type=search
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=638641&mesg_id=638641&listing_type=search

693258, RE: That show Spartacus is a glorified 300 b.
Posted by xangeluvr, Sun Feb-22-15 11:12 PM
i certainly was getting tired of the nudity and sex for no reason, but at the same time i loved how the story played out on screen so i just kind of didn't pay attention to it.
693260, No fan of the sho will deny any of this...
Posted by gumz, Mon Feb-23-15 07:37 AM
the violence is gratuitous...they OD with the sex and nudity and throw it in to fill time...but the show was damn entertaining. It was basically an NC17 soap opera. Guilty pleasure and all that. I enjoyed it throughout but then again I love b movies and other outrageous shit like this. A lot of what turned you off to it cracked me up.
693264, It’s the best example of a show ‘righting the ship’ ive ever seen.
Posted by BigReg, Mon Feb-23-15 09:24 AM
The first three episodes were a straight from the straight to vhs knockoff playbook...in this case Gladiator. Damn near unwatchable.

By the end of the season they worked it up to not a greatshow, but a solid one. The characters were fun, campy, and got a chance to breathe. The OG lead, Zena Warrior Princess and her boo, and everyone else grew into their characters and the writers learned to write interesting plotlines (even though for some reason alot of the needless double/triple betrayasl reminded me of the weaker seasons of Oz, along with the ample amount of male booty, lol.)

It's no Game of Thrones, or even the heavily underrated 'Rome', but still a fun show. Like everyone said above, can't deny it's entertainment value.
693270, See I found it midly amusing.
Posted by bwood, Mon Feb-23-15 10:40 AM
Not even entertaining.

I don't have a problem with nudity, violence and language. But when it done this poorly and sloppily, it comes off as poor reflection on the creative team as a whole and their inability to dial it back.
693274, I feel like the gratuitous sex and violence goes along with the premise
Posted by Grand_Royal, Mon Feb-23-15 12:19 PM
It's gladiators in a ludus.

The splashes of blood did kinda annoy me at first tho. It looked cheap and unnecessary, but I got over it. I think it's difficult to do this kinda show without much of a budget; isn't that what ultimately killed "Rome"?

I won't lie and say some of it didn't appeal to the 15yo boy in me, but ultimately, I became invested in the characters and the story was engaging. And while it's not the most historically accurate, it did make me read up on their stories.
693279, Rome and Game of Thrones do it in a non-explotive manner tho
Posted by bwood, Mon Feb-23-15 01:01 PM
Here, it seems they're doing it cause they can.

Whereas the other two, it's part of the story and not every episode of those shows are over the top and gratuitous.
693284, Well yeah, the violence is hyper-stylized and more comparable to 300
Posted by Grand_Royal, Mon Feb-23-15 01:30 PM
...than Rome and Thrones. I'm pretty sure I made the same complaint about Spartacus in the old thread, as well. Despite all that, I found the characters and stories compelling enough to enjoy the show.
693286, Even the characters sucked
Posted by bwood, Mon Feb-23-15 01:34 PM
Almost all of them could've been the same person TBH. The actors gave 110% and my hat goes off for that. They made the shit watchable TBH.