Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHistory Channel's Vikings! Season 3.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=693156
693156, History Channel's Vikings! Season 3.
Posted by BlackSun, Fri Feb-20-15 04:46 PM
Are you down with team Ragnar Lothbrok?
693273, I'm #TeamRagnar, he's one of my favorite characters on tv
Posted by Grand_Royal, Mon Feb-23-15 11:50 AM
He's a really good strategist and that was clear when they rolled up and attacked the uncle's army. The niece looked upset about her uncle but supposedly she didn't like him, she seems like the one to watch.

And I'm sure something is going to happen to kill Floki's happiness.
693275, ragnar's baby mama >>>>>>>>>> ragnar
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Feb-23-15 12:30 PM
jus sayin'

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
693277, Lagertha is dope, no question
Posted by Grand_Royal, Mon Feb-23-15 12:55 PM
They both find a way to come out on top and that makes them pretty similar, but Ragnar has a certain "coolness" about him.
693623, I agree Ragnar is a great tactician, but that scene was lacking.
Posted by Lardlad95, Fri Feb-27-15 08:53 PM
They've been dealing with Norsemen for decades now...why the fuck would they think dividing your armies on the banks of a wide river was going to be of any advantage against a people you know to be water-faring warriors? None of your advisers told you that your archers wouldn't be able to assist from that far away? No one mentioned that even if they divided their forces as you seemed to think they would, you would have no way of assisting your ally if the other viking force was successful?

This wasn't a case of Ragnar being a great tactician, this was an instance of his enemy being shitty tacticians.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard
693644, I just think they underestimated the pagan savages
Posted by Grand_Royal, Sat Feb-28-15 11:39 AM
693670, They've fought in Northumberland, Wessex, and Mercia.
Posted by Lardlad95, Sun Mar-01-15 06:26 AM
Sure the Mercians defeated the small band of Norse mercenaries that agreed to fight last season, but I just don't understand how you've known about these people who are vastly superior to you in marine and riverine warfare for well over a decade now, and you divide your forces on the banks of a wide river.

I can't let this one go, because usually the battle scenes feel so crisp and well orchestrated. This one almost pulled me out of the episode because the initial tactic was so glaringly stupid.

693674, agree to disagree
Posted by Grand_Royal, Sun Mar-01-15 11:11 AM
693683, I don't agree to that.
Posted by Lardlad95, Sun Mar-01-15 05:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlVRUkwYRI

693611, I wish this didn't come on at the same time as Archer.
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Feb-27-15 01:22 PM
I really like Vikings. It was great on Sundays after GOT.
693621, Episode 1 was better than episode 2.
Posted by Lardlad95, Fri Feb-27-15 08:38 PM
I know they're trying to flesh out the other characters more, but I feel like Ragnar's motivations are being glossed over. His position has changed immensely since last season, and he still seems like the same old guy.

Even still, I'm interested to see how the Vikings do in Wessex and Mercia. Though queen fire crotch is just a truly terrible character.

Side note 1: Every episode does a great job of pointing out how absurd it would be to leave Largatha for Aslaug. I mean jesus christ. How was that even a competition? She wins in every category: Body, Brains, and Badassery.

Side note 2: It wasn't in Game of Thrones but we got to see Ser Merryn Trant get his cumuppence. God bless Vikings for continuing to hire bit players from GOT and then having them die in the coolest ways possible. I'm looking back at last seasons brief usage of Lord Karstark.

Side note 3: The battle sequences are as always, amazing.
696297, the raid on Paris was dope!
Posted by gumz, Fri Apr-17-15 10:17 AM
i'm mad they went back to the Floki traitor storyline (faked last time, real this time). i wish they hadn't gone that route and i was getting bored of the show because of it but damn....that Paris battle was off da chain!