Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject^ The biggest problem I had with the movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=682849&mesg_id=689125
689125, ^ The biggest problem I had with the movie
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Nov-27-14 04:53 PM
>why didn't they set this movie in 1993? I was constantly
>taken out of it by thinking "jeez, people acting like this for
>tv news??? in 2014?!?!"

Gilroy created a great character (and Gyllenhaal brought him to life) but then stuck him in a story that's been told countless times, and better at that: hey, y'all, the media is bloodthirsty and without morals and/or ethics, and would even give airtime (or in this case, take "raw" footage) from a psychopath in order to win in the ratings! The media shole is BAD!

Robert Elswit made it look great, and Rene Russo was as good as she could be, given her role

But I wasn't as enthralled with this as a lot of you were, and I'm a big fan of film noir, so that wasn't the issue

Also, and this is just a nitpick that's exclusive to me, but almost every time they shot a driving scene, I was taken out of the movie. Why? Because they kept shooting the cars on the exact same strip of roadway, between Victory Blvd. and Vanowen in the Valley. I know this because I kept seeing the same signage of business over in that area. Again, this was MY nitpick, not really worthy of some protracted debate, but it was distracting.

The movie was okay, the script and Gyllenhaal will probably be nominated, but I was still like eh.

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas made aliases.