Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm on EP5. the discussion in here is a mess, LOL (SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=677457&mesg_id=690475
690475, I'm on EP5. the discussion in here is a mess, LOL (SPOILERS)
Posted by astralblak, Fri Dec-26-14 02:59 PM
i guess cause it was so slow to cook, there are spoilers all over this thread and convos pertaining to episodes all out of order

Sister Harriet and Cleary are great characters. The discussion at the grave site and their beer together have been two of my favorite scenes so far.

I don't like that they're making a romance bubble with Thackery and nurse Lucy, but Clive is playing the shit out of archetypal mad genius. The scene of him and Birdy wide-eyed after another failed attempt to save the mother and child, hands bloody and all the tools still in the belly was intense.

Soderberg is putting his foot into the visual composition of the show. I remember some one saying that they think this type of story telling (long form) fits Steven's type of directing, I couldn't agree more. If the last five episodes are this good, it's easily the best thing he's ever done.

and then their is Dr. Algernon Edwards. Possibly the most dynamic character on TV. All the indignities he suffers: small, big, aversive, overt, him beating muthafuckas asses, him running the hospital in the basement for Black and Brown, his relationship with Cornelia, etc, just a fantastic character. And Andre Holland, the actor, is playing the shit out it.

Herman and Inspector Jacob are scum. I like how Cornelia handled Jacob's after the house visit.

and LOFL @ Danny Hoch playing Bunky. It's over the top and his face has always been strange and punchable, but it works

and COT DAMN at the syphilis eating the nose of Thackery's ex. I immediately did my Googles. All that shit was real upto the operation!

i still can't believe they would operate without gloves and touch folk directly with all types of sickness.

as a period piece it works. as a piece on the evolution of science and medicine it works. as a piece of social and urban history it works. as a drama it works.

Can't wait to finish these next five.