Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI just binge-watched everything on a freeview weekend -- AMAZING
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=677457&mesg_id=685229
685229, I just binge-watched everything on a freeview weekend -- AMAZING
Posted by celery77, Fri Sep-12-14 06:03 PM
made me decide whether I wanted to maybe pay the subscription to see it all, or else do the work of pirating it (I'm out of the loop on that stuff, not set up for it at the moment).

After I watched it, I poked around to see what people were saying. I couldn't find all that much. I was mainly interested in how people were describing it -- like how did they try to explain it. Seemed like a lot of focus on the doctor's drug use, the gore of the surgeries, when really I think it should just be explained as a "medical drama."

Is there really that much different between this an ER, except that it doesn't bullshit about how weird and unpleasant the medical field can be? Plots are built around patient struggles, all the extra details (drug use, gore) that get described are just the window dressing. As far as plot and motivation go, it's sick patient, cure sick patient, then subplots around it.

But it is that sort of stylization that makes it stand out, and I have no idea why I only heard about Clive Owen's drug use when when very compelling race themes seem to be a central component as well.

Already don't know how I'm going to watch this weekend, already unhappy about it. Original plan was to just get the whole season somehow when it was all done, but honestly it's so fucking good I'mma be upset when I know it's rolling on and I'm not in on the story.

oh and, pleased myself when I connected the dots to Typhoid Mary. Interesting how they're dramatizing it, but it feels like building towards a fictional Typhoid Mary might be the arc drawing to the finale of this season.