Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectfinally saw this late last night, its pretty much been playing in a loop
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=677340&mesg_id=691011
691011, finally saw this late last night, its pretty much been playing in a loop
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Jan-10-15 03:17 AM
since on the big TV in my living room.

Like, I have not put anything else on, I might go out for a bit, step into another room, clean/cook or start messing around on a computer or listening to podcasts/music but this movie is just going on repeat since about 10 PM last night.

I'm not really watching it end to end after first viewing but at this point but just popping back in and re-watching whatever set of scenes I feel like watching him.

Really trying to maximize that RedBox rental window but I must buy this now anyway.

As you said, those two things (the process and the film itself) are by no means mutually exclusive.

And the fact that there's no real "movie arc" or dramatic plot-point stuff actually fucking enhances how real and beautiful this film really is.

You just watch time pass and folks grow/age in front of you, which is what human existence really is and despite being 2:40 minutes long like life the whole thing goes by quicker than you want it to as you're experiencing it.

"I just thought there'd be more"-Patricia Arquette rips you apart with that end scene before he leaves for college.

Ethan Hawke was better than I've ever seen him.

The kid.......I don't even know what to say, because it's still so mind-blowing to process that it's all one individual performance.

Linklater's daughter is charming.

The bizarreness of the new "man in the house" felt thru the eyes of a boy growing up as a product of divorce and stepfather's is fully felt.

Think that was more than a bit autobiographical by Richard Linklater there.

It captures that emotion more clearly than any movie I've seen and in a way that suggests it was a hard-earned insight from his own life.

Fuck best movie of the past calendar year, this is one of the greatest achievements in filmmaking I can remember ever watching (and yes I'm currently in the moment but I cant see that really dulling in my mind later).

This flick does everything that Tree of Life tried to do but without all the pretentious, mystical bullshit, just a clean/simply told story about a family via a process that's gotta be unprecedented but transcends any accusations of gimmickry or stunt-filmmaking.

Simply stunning.

This shit has me texting friends and family to make sure they watch this ASAP.

All the major players involved in this, particularly Linklater (who happened to be on WTF with Mark Maron which I played this morning while out on a morning stroll to grab breakfast so it made for a nice companion piece) but truly all of them I owe a debt of gratitude for taking on this 12-year-challenge.

They're all good money with me from here on out off this movie alone.

Whoever doesn't love this movie, I'm not sure I can really fuck with you too tough.

This is about to be a Rorschach test.

Gotta get the key girl of present focus to watch this and I'm praying she loves this at least half as much as I did and in doing so gives me the metaphorical lean over to unlock the driver side door like the fine black girl did for Colojo on their first date in Sonny's whip in "Bronx Tale".

If not, I may need to recalibrate her virtues in my internal scorecard.

Peace.