Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLucy (Besson, 2014)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=676446
676446, Lucy (Besson, 2014)
Posted by j0510, Wed Jul-30-14 12:22 PM
A woman, accidentally caught in a dark deal, turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic.

Lucy Official Trailer #1 (2014)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vu081NOorA

Release Date: August 8, 2014

Director: Luc Besson

Writer: Luc Besson

Producer: Luc Besson, Christophe Lambert

Cinematography: Thierry Arbogast

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman
676466, Want to see
Posted by lfresh, Sun Apr-13-14 10:47 AM
This and Scarlett's other vehicle
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
676474, Looks very good. Scarlett having a very busy year.
Posted by phenompyrus, Sun Apr-13-14 02:34 PM
And it's got Freeman and Oldboy in it?
Win.
682781, It's The Professional + 2001 - any sense of logic
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Jul-25-14 07:26 PM
I had read beforehand that there wasn't *a lot* of action, not as much as the advertising would have you believe, so I knew what to expect. The rowdy crowd I saw this with, however...

Scarlett was fine, but her Cold, Calculating Being played to better effect in Under the Skin

Morgan spent a lot of the film's 89-minute run time spouting gibberish about brain power and such. He was our Explainer, in a sense narrating what happened to Scarlett as she got more and more powerful. And just in case you didn't understand just how powerful Scarlett was getting, every few minutes there literally would be a title card showing the percentage of her brain capacity she was using.

I tried to stay with it but ultimately it got weirder and weirder so I lost interest once she hit about 60%, which was about the point Luc decided to say Fuck It and intercut some shooting with a chopped-up remix of 2001's Jupiter Beyond the Infinite sequence (with some of that good Dawn of Man thrown in at the start and the finish as well).

Even with tempered expectations, it was dull. But that Damon Albarn shole can write a song...

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go
682784, that's a shame
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Jul-25-14 07:39 PM
I had high hopes for this.

I was impressed by the trailer.

I was extra hyped when I saw that it was also Min-sik Choi's (Oldboy) US debut. (How big is his role, by the way?)

Mostly hoping that this would be the big sleeper hit of the summer.

Now I'm more thinking it'll be a Netflix watch.

I mean, I might like it, but I'm not heading to the theater for it now...
682790, This is the second downer
Posted by lfresh, Fri Jul-25-14 09:12 PM
I'm reading about this
The first tore it apart on similar ...more specific scientific lines
Sigh
Great trailer though
I'll wait for cable then
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
682809, is under tge skin better?
Posted by onthat, Sat Jul-26-14 10:53 AM
682839, Yes. Scarlett's good in this, but she was better in UTS.
Posted by ZooTown74, Sun Jul-27-14 03:10 AM
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Gender Coons Gotta Go
682891, just so you know Under The Skin is SUBTLE SCI FI
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-28-14 11:25 AM
and is very methodical. it moves at the pace of snail and is much about mood and atmosphere as it is about the plot. it looks beautiful and trippy in parts

i loved it, but it's not for every one
683364, ^^listen to this^^
Posted by lfresh, Mon Aug-04-14 08:20 PM
It's very good but yes it's not the norm
~~~~
~~~~
682836, Besson only uses about 10% of his brain
Posted by ODotSoHot, Sun Jul-27-14 12:14 AM
682866, 44 mil opening weekend. scarjo winning.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Jul-27-14 04:48 PM
682893, it will drop drastically next week
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jul-28-14 11:27 AM
it's getting trashed critically
682946, RE: it will drop drastically next week
Posted by SankofaII, Tue Jul-29-14 02:42 PM
>it's getting trashed critically

with Guardians of the Galaxy opening this week, EVERYTHING at the box office will see it's gross drop....

if it holds on to number two this coming weekend, that would be a major accomplishment
682878, Luc Besson shouldn't try to get deep
Posted by bigkarma, Mon Jul-28-14 08:08 AM
This movie went from La Femme Nikita, to Limitless meets Phenomenon, straight to outtakes from Cosmos w/ Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I literally groaned during the last act.

682901, yep...he tried to get deep and it backfired
Posted by Calico, Mon Jul-28-14 01:03 PM
the deeper he tried to make it all sound, the more ridiculos (sp) the movie got...

it tried though...i wasn't mad, just disappointed...
682967, I'm pretty sure the *point* was for it to get ridiculous.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-30-14 12:05 AM
Besson seems acutely aware that the science is faulty, and he is more than okay with that. It's entertainment.
682975, so you think the point was to get so crazy it became a joke?
Posted by Calico, Wed Jul-30-14 07:25 AM
at least to the audience?? i get that over the top was probably the goal, but i think it veered on the bad side of that in the end...
682990, Define "joke."
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-30-14 11:33 AM
Because, yes, there are comedic beats throughout the end. Most of them surrounding a perfectly timed cut to Freeman and the scientists giving a "wtf" look. Because what is happening is so insane. So in that sense, there are jokes pertaining to how nuts the movie gets.

If you thought the end was a joke in the sense that it was irreparably stupid, odds are you were pretty disconnected from the moment she could start controlling her own matter, which was at, like, 20%. Freeman told us precisely where the movie was headed in his opening speech. The movie sets the rules for its own world and then follows them to a T.

I had no problem accepting that at 100% capacity Lucy could control her perception of time and space, because, well, it had been established. It's a superhero movie. If I'm not going to nitpick the science of Superman or the X-Men, I'm certainly not going to nitpick here-- especially when the world created is so consistently following its own rules.
683026, if you think of the movie as a superhero origin story, it all fits
Posted by Calico, Wed Jul-30-14 03:04 PM
so i appreciate you saying that cause when thought about THAT way, it works, even some of the more outlandish stuff...i didn't go in thinking of it as such...i don't know why in retrospect, but i didn't...

if you don't think of it as you have though, it all seems crazy and i think i was good until she turned herself into an orgain computer...in fact, i was probably down all the way up til she saw the ape and then gave dude the ultimate traveldrive

683033, *spoilers on ending in the reply above and this one*
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-30-14 03:27 PM
The travel drive is definitely intentionally funny. She creates/becomes this thing beyond comprehension, so she has to dumb it down to our level. Especially funny considering there is no need for a travel drive, since, as she reveals seconds later, she is transcendent.

I loved the moment with "Lucy" (the ape) at the end for a billion reasons-- the idea that she is responsible for the spark of humanity, the religious allusions to the Creation of Man on the Sistine Ceiling (made even more obvious by the inclusion of the painting in an earlier montage), her deadpan responses to "Lucy"'s scream.

It just never felt pretentious or even pseudo-deep. It all felt playful in tone, designed to entertain and to take you on a ride more than to teach you some grander truth.

It's not like the film was humorless in tone or overly grave at any moment-- even the most "serious" moment in the film (the phone call with Mom) is funny in its execution (the Mom asking if she's okay as the doctor reaches into her belly). It's all a whirlwind.
682968, This movie goes completely ape shit, which I totally love.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-30-14 12:08 AM
It's a superhero movie, plain and simple. Only this superhero's power keeps getting stronger and stronger, to the point where her humanity is the real villain.

ScarJo is outstanding. The visuals are absolutely on point. Besson keeps putting all sorts of (intentional) visual and dialogue jokes all over the place, nearly all of which hit for me.

I thought this was better than most of the summer's fare to date.
682972, Her hair looked terrible the entire movie & none of the men were attractive.
Posted by no_i_cant_dance, Wed Jul-30-14 02:14 AM
It was worth the $5 I paid to see it tho.
683128, RE: Lucy in the sky with Diamonds versus Lucy in the theater
Posted by maternalbliss, Thu Jul-31-14 09:49 PM
lol, ok i know i am ridiculous hut i honestly think i would prefer some of that LiSD. That stuff John and Paul was singing about sounds more fun than watching this Besson movie.

lol, i really don't know if i wanna check this out. It looks so meh.
Bliss
683219, Shit was like Transcendence meets an episode of Covert Affairs
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sat Aug-02-14 10:50 PM
The beginning was good, but it went downhill fast.
683267, I liked it
Posted by lfresh, Sun Aug-03-14 07:05 PM
Fits into Besson oveure perfectly
I was worried with all the bad reviews
Then I read this
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/07/what-in-the-world-is-scarlett-johansson-up-to-lucy-under-the-skin-her-a-feminist-disappearing-act/375141/

Still the usual problematic issues with how Asians are protrayed but eh slow progress

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/29/scarlett-johansson-vs-the-faceless-men-of-color.html

~~~~
~~~~
683865, It was cool, but got pretty ridiculous in the end.
Posted by Anfernee, Wed Aug-13-14 01:48 AM
When she hit maximum cerebral capacity and turned into a fucking flash drive, I was like... Nah, bro.

Cool visuals though.

I think I still liked it overall.
684271, RE: Lucy (Besson, 2014)
Posted by GQ, Sat Aug-23-14 09:42 AM
don't waste your time with this pile of shit excuse of a movie!!!! she gains control of matter at 20% use of her brain and BECOMES matter at the end......specifically a muthafucking flash drive.....gtfoohwtbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i haven't been this mad leaving a flick since ballistic: ecks vs. severs............
686093, Transcendence w/ titties
Posted by jigga, Wed Oct-01-14 09:01 AM
Morgan might be the only redeeming factor in either flick
686306, RE: Do not continue reading if easily offended
Posted by maternalbliss, Fri Oct-03-14 10:28 PM
Lucy is all about melanin and chaos theory. I am not gonna discuss this here,y'all look it up yourself.

This movie was trash but it did have some redeeming value and that was professor Norman played by Freeman. I like Freeman. All of the roles he has been doing lately are interesting. He said in an interview that he believes he is a GOD. Morgan on that GOD shit. The man got my respect. Everything he was talking about in this movie was truth.

A lot of people complained about how ridiculous Lucy was. I got to be honest it did not bother me. Lucy basically became a weapon and i knew that is what it was all about. let's face facts. This is where humanity is headed folks, unfortunately.

No fear, no pain, no desire. I like that line. Imo it is best to pay more attention to what is being said rather than what is being shown. STOP LOOKING AT SCARLETT'S TITTIES.

Grade C-

Oh and btw that other Lucy i was talking about earlier, you know, the Lsd. Well, guess what that is about. That's about melanin and and chaos too. i know i am nuts. lol

Bliss

686327, Nonsense
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Sat Oct-04-14 11:49 AM
The worst movie i've seen in the cinema for a very long time. Luc Besson hang your head in shame and don't make another film until you can come up with far better than this shite.
686404, I really liked it. Not the Fifth Element good, but I enjoyed
Posted by Scarface_7, Mon Oct-06-14 08:36 AM
its funny how polarizing it is (Just look at this thread), amongst my friends was the same way....All us cool ppl liked it though LOL
693202, this movie was stupid it wasn't even fun
Posted by astralblak, Sat Feb-21-15 01:49 PM
I don't believe the that's what Besson was going for shit either. I think he wanted a action flick with a lead that had depth, but it fell flat on it's face because the action was weak and the theory was just bad

I did enjoying the beginning nature shots cut into movie scenes, as he attempted to frame the symbolism and theme, and some of the scenes made me laugh at it, but nah yo
693209, It wasn't bad, it was SO bad
Posted by BigWorm, Sat Feb-21-15 10:29 PM
My expectations might have been high because I liked the premise and I'm a big fan of Choi Min-sik.

But oh man this movie was terrible. First off Choi Min-sik is totally wasted. Even ignoring the fact that the logic in the movie is waaaay off, this was just dumb. Basically it's saying that "extra brain capabilities" mean that you have super powers but act like a robot.

It feels like this was a movie made from a script written back in the 80s.

Not the worst movie out there, but definitely not worth paying for.
693253, RE: It wasn't bad, it was SO bad
Posted by go mack, Sun Feb-22-15 08:50 PM
I agree, just watched this weekend as coworker keeps on telling me I have to see it

I was underwhelmed. It wasn't like its bloated either, first movie under 90 minutes I've seen in a while, but it was just too ridiculous and really just not very good, will not watch again.