Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Purge: Anarchy (DeMonaco,2014)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=672409
672409, The Purge: Anarchy (DeMonaco,2014)
Posted by j0510, Wed Feb-12-14 08:41 PM
A young couple works to survive on the streets after their car breaks down right as the annual purge commences.

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaoh3PqHG7I

Release Date: June 20, 2014

Directer: James DeMonaco

Writer: James DeMonaco

Producers: Michael Bay, Jason Blum, Jeanette Brill, Phillip Dawe, Andrew Form, Bradley Fuller, Sebastien Lemercier

Cinematography: Jacques Jouffret

Cast: Zach Gilford, Kiele Sanchez, Frank Grillo, Michael K. Williams
675344, The Purge: Anarchy Official Trailer #1
Posted by j0510, Fri Mar-28-14 08:07 PM
This trailer is much better. Frank Grillo (always puts out quality work) looks to be the only good or redeeming thing about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1r5hBcq7tI
675372, I liked this trailer much more.
Posted by phenompyrus, Sat Mar-29-14 10:00 PM
Of course, I was fooled by the first movie's cool trailer, but the premise of this is PERFECT for a horror film. That said, I hope this is better than #1.
681819, Repost of Sankoka's review:
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jul-08-14 09:42 AM
09:48 PM by SankofaII

It's not coming out until the 18th but I saw an advance screening of it out here last night.

And, without giving anything away, a MASSIVE improvement over the first one.

The Purge itself is explained and how it effects all of the classes (rich, poor, etc.) is detailed here.

GREAT call back from the first Purge, nice "city shout outs" (Pittsburgh got a "shout out" and if you do see this movie and see that scene, just realize that THAT's how it occasionally pops off out here...but no Purge. No lie... lol)

The Cast: Frank Grillo, Carmen Ejogo, Zoe Soul, Kiele Sanchez, and even wack ass Zach Gilford (he must have a corner on playing weak ass White men LMAO) were great here. Oddly enough, I would NOT be made if Grillo and Ejogo were paired up in future movies. Their characters have an interesting chemistry with each other that was very much there.

And shit, can we see MORE Frank Grillo and Carmen Ejogo in movies? Yes please!

Yes, logic and the overall concept collapses on itself in the movie but way LESS than it did in the first one.

I will say this: I wish they had focused more on the class struggle and how the purge impacted it the first time around...but solid sequel.

B+/B overall very much a solid matinee/first weekend type movie...

Get Out the Room
681838, Thanks Cold Truth
Posted by SankofaII, Tue Jul-08-14 01:26 PM
I really did NOT see this posting at all when I put mine up...I probably should have laid off the post Purge: Anarchy shots I had while I was posting!

LMAO
682501, No prob.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Jul-19-14 11:55 PM
681821, Its better than the first
Posted by Dae021, Tue Jul-08-14 10:05 AM
- There's no assumptions or any type of room for personal interpretations this time. They spell out what the purge is all about and what its used for.

- I liked it more than the first and think it does a much better job of explaining how the mechanisms of the purge effect each class.

- Throw in the streaming hot violence and close up shots, and you've got yourself an enjoyable flick.

- The chemistry through the main cast work, and I agree with Ryan I'd like to see this pairing again.

- Great call back to the first film, and just all around good blackness.

- can't wait to see what next year brings.

682463, It's John Carpenter and Walter Hill but with less nihilism. (SPOILERS)
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Jul-18-14 05:18 PM
Love those guys, btw.

And yes, it is an improvement over the first one. The world of the film being opened up and spread out helped a great deal, as did the plot device of having five people make their way through the city to get to a safe spot. And I think I now get why DeMonaco started out with such a contained story: it feels like there's going to be a bit of a progression, from the home, to the city, then (based on what happens in this movie) to the nation/world in movie #3... wouldn't be surprised if the next one is The Purge: Revolution or something. I loved the idea of a group that's ready to fight against the purge.

And to be frank, it was cooler that they were all N*GGAS.

Anyway, Frank Grillo was the man, Carmen Ejogo was hot, Zoe was great (but I'm biased), my forgotten boo Justina Machado was just fine, and Michael K. came through and crushed the buildings in the last half hour. I can't lie, I was annoyed with Matty Saracen and Kiely Sanchez, and was hoping that they'd both get picked off at some point.

And yes, there are logic/character decision issues (seeing Zach Gilford and Kiely Sanchez suddenly firing semiautomatic weapons like pros was laughable), and the set piece at the safe home, which included my girl Justina and a dumb-ass twist, was fuckin' silly and not worth caring one inch about. And then there was the absentee father/male figure subtext that was zzzzzzz. But I was invested otherwise, if only to see if this band of people could survive. And I mentioned the John Carpenter influence, except DeMonaco seems to have a soft streak for the characters he created; if this were 1981 and it were a Carpenter production, there's a good chance that no one, even Frank Grillo, would have made it out alive. But that's fine by me: he seems to be setting up another go-round of The Purge, but this time with N*GGAS leading the charge against the government to shut this bullshit down.

Speaking of subtext, aside from the obvious step of having the teenage girl constantly spouting about how terrible The Purge concept is every so often, the leftist-ish, sociopolitical subtext of the first movie is a bit more sprinkled out here; the government proclamations and class divisions aren't hit as hard as they were in the first movie (at least IIRC but maybe not), but they're there if you wish to acknowledge them, aside from the bits where Zoe Soul watches Michael Williams talk revolution on a laptop.

Overall, the best word I'd use to describe this joint is effective.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Hollywood Collusion is Wack.
682469, I totally missed the "SPOILERS" in your subject line....
Posted by KCPlayer21, Fri Jul-18-14 07:18 PM
and now I'm mad at myself, LOL......

We the children of the Light, you know what I mean?
That's why I'm hating on the darkness like Paula Deen
Cause in my hood they masked up like it's Halloween
We going hard for the Rock, but we not some fiends
- Andy Mineo
682483, Ooh, now I'm intrigued.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jul-19-14 11:03 AM
682509, you totally need to see this...
Posted by SankofaII, Sun Jul-20-14 07:29 AM
if anything to clown how bad Zach Gilford is in the movie and how he's clearly taken the de facto weak ass White man dating a woman of color role from Michael Vartan in movies these days LMAO

but you should check this out. I suspect you and the gang at The Long and Late Movie show will like this outing this time around...
682510, speaking of John Carpenter
Posted by SankofaII, Sun Jul-20-14 07:35 AM
a GREAT article about how many of the films coming out this year owe much of their style to him....I love how, at the end of the article, he basically gives you a "well damn, i'm glad y'all love me and are influenced by my style, but can y'all niggras send me a check?" LMAO

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/07/16/john-carpenter-the-purge/

John Carpenter was once among Hollywood’s most prolific filmmakers. But the man who brought us such genre classics as Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York, and Assault on Precinct 13 has only made one movie in the past 13 years—2010’s psychological thriller The Ward—and hasn’t troubled the box office in a big way since 1998’s James Woods-starring Vampires. (And Carpenter, 66, doesn’t sound like he’s in any rush to get back behind the camera: “I worked really hard for more years than I’d like to count, but now I can pick and choose things,” says the director, who most recently co-penned a comic book follow-up to his 1986 kung fu-fantasy film Big Trouble in Little China. “I was doing too much—music and writing and all this shit. I had to take a break. I’m developing a couple of things. But we’ll see. There’s no urgency.”)

But Carpenter’s semi-retirement has not diminished his influence on other filmmakers. Quite the opposite. In the past decade, Hollywood has remade several of his films, including Halloween and Assault on Precinct 13, while Sherlock Holmes producer Joel Silver has plans to reboot Escape From New York. “I’d like to do a trilogy,” Silver confirms. “That’d be a nice idea if we could figure it out.” And this year, Carpenter’s influence is being felt in cinemas as never before, with younger filmmakers falling over themselves to pay homage to the director—and borrow from his voluminous horror and science-fiction playbook.

Carpenter’s The Thing, for example, was an obvious influence on February’s alien abduction film Almost Human, just as Halloween helped inspire May’s slasher-musical Stage Fright, whose titles ape the distinctive gothic font beloved by the filmmaker. “We are such John Carpenter fans,” says Stage Fright director Jerome Sable of himself and cowriter Eli Batalion. “Not only do we use the John Carpenter font for the title treatment, but our editor used the ‘eye-dropper’ tool on Photoshop to the exact Assault on Precinct 13 red for the red of our title. That’s how much we were into John Carpenter.”

The plot of last summer’s horror hit The Purge (in which people can commit any crime they like on a designated night) owes a clear debt to Escape From New York (in which people can commit any crime they like within a walled-off Manhattan). However, Purge writer-director James DeMonaco says he sought inspiration from Ennio Morricone’s score for The Thing while plotting the sequel The Purge: Anarchy, which arrives in cinemas July 18. “I literally wrote The Purge 2 to track two of The Thing soundtrack,” recalls DeMonaco, who also wrote the 2005 remake of Assault on Precinct 13. “I would just blast it in my basement. It was driving my wife crazy.”

DeMonaco is not the only filmmaker to be inspired by the synth-heavy soundtracks favored by Carpenter and often penned by the man himself. Director Jim Mickle’s recent, ‘80s-set thriller Cold in July stars Michael C. Hall as an East Texas frame store owner whose shooting of an intruder begets an extremely bloody chain of events. For the film’s soundtrack, Mickle asked composer Jeff Grace to locate his inner Carpenter. “I often temp score movies with Carpenter soundtracks,” says the filmmaker, whose previous credits include 2010’s post-apocalyptic vampire saga Stake Land. “This time we just made the decision, ‘Hey, don’t replace that with more contemporary stuff. No strings—all ’80s synthesizers.’ Jeff went into that little box and he pulled out some amazing stuff.”

Director Adam Wingard (You’re Next) is another fan of the filmmaker’s soundtracks, in particular Carpenter and co-composer Alan Howarth’s score for 1982′s much maligned Halloween III: Season of the Witch. The third entry in the horror franchise is the only one not to feature masked psychopath Michael Myers and was actually directed by longtime Carpenter associate Tommy Lee Wallace. But Wingard reveals the movie influenced his forthcoming film, the Dan Stevens-starring action-thriller The Guest, which is set for September. “It takes place during Halloween and there’s a lot of references in the film to not just Halloween but actually Halloween III,” says Wingard. “That ended up being this really weird, obscure influence, which is a funny film to homage because it’s a lot of people’s least favorite one. But that movie has its own, interesting sci-fi quality. Plus, it might actually be John Carpenter’s best score.”

Why is Carpenter proving so influential now? It is surely no coincidence that all of these aforementioned filmmakers grew up in the director’s mid-‘70s-to-mid-’90s heyday, a period during which he made 16 theatrically-released films, two TV movies and a segment of the anthology project Body Bags, as well as writing numerous other projects. DeMonaco recalls his father buying a VHS of Escape From New York back in the ’80s—a tape the Purge director wore out by repeatedly watching the adventures of Kurt Russell’s eyepatch-sporting anti-hero Snake Plissken. “I actually put it in recently and I can’t see anything, he says. “I couldn’t see Snake Plissken. It literally was a life-changer.”

However, filmmaker Jeremy Saulnier—who directed April’s acclaimed revenge thriller Blue Ruin—argues the current love being shown the director is not just about nostalgia. “His films had something to say about society,” he says, “and were deeper than just found-footage massacres that make me walk out of the theaters and want to vomit.”
DeMonaco echoes Saulnier’s appreciation for the depth of Carpenter’s work. “I always found there was humanity amidst all the B-movie chaos that was occurring,” he says. “He was always paying attention to character in The Thing and Starman and Halloween, whereas some of the other filmmakers I don’t think were.”

So what does Carpenter himself feel about the enduring influence of his oeuvre on younger filmmakers? “I love it,” he says. “But I just wish they would send me money. It doesn’t have to be much—just a couple bucks.”

Blue Ruin, Stage Fright, and Almost Human are available on DVD and Blu-ray. Scream Factory has rereleased a number of Carpenter titles over the past couple of years, including collector’s editions of They Live, The Fog, and Assault on Precinct 13. On September 23, Scream Factory and Anchor Bay will put out Halloween: The Complete Collection, a 15-disc Blu-ray set which includes every film in the franchise.

Additional reporting by Kyle Anderson.
(An earlier version of this story incorrectly implied that the soundtrack of The Thing was written by John Carpenter. The score was of course composed by Ennio Morricone.)
682471, If I want to see this, should I go back and see the first one?
Posted by adam, Fri Jul-18-14 08:41 PM
I didn't. This one looks pretty interesting, and I've read a few things that make me think I'd like it. Is it important to see the first one, or should I be okay just going to see this one?
682497, *spoiler*
Posted by The3rdOne, Sat Jul-19-14 07:36 PM
I got hyped when Omar showed up
682502, This shit doesn't even resemble the first. Top 3 blockbuster of the year
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Jul-20-14 12:15 AM
I got Apes and Cap ahead of this, but really they could all go either way since they're all extremely different films. I have this ahead of Godzilla due to Kick-Ass and his boring ass story line.

At any rate, I loved most of this. SPOILERS.

-I fucking HATED Zach Gilford and his girl. Their entire story and premise was grating and I was glad he got murked in the end. That whole 'tell your sister' convo was irritating.

-I actually enjoyed the absent father/dead son connection between Grillo and Zoe. I thought it was very well developed for what it was.

-As has been mentioned already, Grillo owns this shit. Loved him. I wonder if calling him Sarge was meant as a nod to End of Watch. All I know is I wanted him on screen as much as possible. It's nice to see a true blue tough guy after Hawke, not to mention Shane (Gilford) appearing to have zero gumption.

Overall they did a phenomenal job keeping us on the edge of our seats and milking the tension of the premise without blowing each successive release. We got what I felt was just the right amount of exposition. Overall this was a really well made film. Had they done a better job of interlacing the resistance movement so that the Big Save didn't come across as DEM, then this would have been even better.

That story would have been wonderful to have instead of Shane's big resistance of telling his sister he was splitting up with his wife. Seriously, that was a completely useless and annoying story.

All in all, excellent summer flick. They just 'Dark Knighted' this shit and the franchise officially has life.

682535, ^good revew
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Jul-21-14 07:25 AM
682573, yep
Posted by Flash80, Mon Jul-21-14 08:09 PM
went in lowered expectations, but was pleasantly surprised.

yeah, i wanted gilford's character out of the way a lot earlier in the film.

"the stranger" ((c) IMDB) making a cameo with the resistance was a nice touch.
682578, I would have been fine if Gilford's character went out
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Jul-21-14 09:31 PM
earlier than he did...because Sanchez's character was the more interesting of the two and watching her own minor evolution (from terrified chick to oh, I need to defend myself and survive) was intriguing, even if, yea, she and Gilford being balls to the wall with the guns was over the top and out of character...

but her character was interesting and was saddled with a soon to be ex-husband who clearly wasn't about shit.
682511, The Purge: Anarchy Cast Interviews
Posted by SankofaII, Sun Jul-20-14 07:39 AM
Great stuff here. And, damn, I keep forgetting Carmen Ejogo is a Brit AND that she's been in Hollywood for 20 years now basically...

I mean, she was the beginning of the British Actress invasion of the 90s onward (Carmen, Thandie Newton, Kate Beckinsdale, Emily Mortimer, Rachel Weisz, etc.)

http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-purge-anarchy-cast-and-crew-interviews-exclusive
682531, if you liked the first one at all, you'll like this.
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Jul-20-14 11:23 PM
I thought it was shit, but I didn't like the first one either and think the concept is incredibly poorly executed.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
682706, i jus needed ole girls daughter to shut the fuck up with all the questions
Posted by LAbeathustla, Wed Jul-23-14 11:15 PM
super annoying
682735, RE: i jus needed ole girls daughter to shut the fuck up with all the questions
Posted by SankofaII, Thu Jul-24-14 12:09 PM
>super annoying

but she played the part of a teenager well in the movie.

but Zoe Soul was great as Cali...she had some serious spunk to be fighting those army guys off...even when dude threw her ass to the ground, she STILL fought them off....
682738, I dare you to say that to Frank Grillo's face.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-24-14 01:12 PM
He loves that girl.

I'd hate to be the man who tells Frank Grillo she was annoying.

Just saying. Dude's basically Batman right now.
682864, It was good to see Frank as the leading man for once
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun Jul-27-14 04:06 PM
He always has a strong supporting role so it was good to see him as the man.
682874, Walking Dead: The Movie
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon Jul-28-14 12:37 AM
I feel like this is what the Walking Dead would be if you tried to stuff a season into one flick. Purge: Anarchy was fine for what it was but what it is and what its premise could have been seem to be two different things. I think it's a great concept and could be a solid series (Each season is one Purge night; you could develop the counter movement a lot better that way) but the films are pretty much just b-movies.

The first film was too self-contained (great concept turned home invasion flick) but this one went the opposite direction and bit off too much. The whole People aren't purging enough/conspiracy/revolution angle was rushed and was really little more than a deus ex machina for the final scene. A simpler version with a rag tag group who don't know whether they can trust one another (and perhaps there is one person who they shouldn't trust) would have been better. Instead all of the characters were one dimensional and I was hoping Kiele Sanchez and her boyfriend would get bit by another Lost spider midway through the movie.

In the end, it was fine. The epitome of disposable entertainment.
687507, It's my night to motherf*cking PURGE!!!!!
Posted by DJ007, Wed Oct-22-14 03:46 PM
Finally watched this on Blu-Ray ,truly awesome!!!

And when YOU KNOW WHO shows up YOU KNOW WHEN!!! Nothing but awesome!