Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHello Ladies
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=664474
664474, Hello Ladies
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Oct-21-13 10:39 PM
Anyone else watching? I'm digging it, lots of cringe-worthy comedy to be had so far, along with a little heart

And BTW, the sense of desperation and longing, coupled with somewhat unreasonable expectations, is kinda real out here in La-La Land, which is another reason I like the show...

Only legit criticism to me would be that it's hard to buy that these folks are SO dumb as to do some of the things they do, Jessica especially, seeing as she's supposed to be a veteran struggling actress who should know better than to repeatedly play herself in the ways that she does...

Oh, and add another quality series of guest shots to Jenny Slate's resume, alongside her work in House of Lies and Parks & Rec...

Anyway, 4 episodes in and I'm sold. Your mileage may vary.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides
664480, I'm on board.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Oct-22-13 12:21 AM
The cringe style used in Hello Ladies reminds me of those same cringe moments used in The Office, which I know Stephen was a big part of creating.
664486, it is like extras...(another Merchant vehicle) ..but i like it so far
Posted by Ink_Spot, Tue Oct-22-13 02:25 AM
664487, im def in....glad merchant finally got his own gig
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Oct-22-13 03:54 AM
dude is hilarious
664490, It's better than Derek at least
Posted by mrshow, Tue Oct-22-13 04:39 AM
Not quite sold on this one.
664493, I dig it, and I'm glad they put me up on this song:
Posted by subjctmattr, Tue Oct-22-13 07:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbRUuA_8OTE
664494, RE: I dig it, and I'm glad they put me up on this song:
Posted by Robert, Tue Oct-22-13 07:48 AM
Whoever is doing the music has been killing it every ep with those deep/forgotten late 70s pop rock radio hits
664529, Couldn't agree more!
Posted by subjctmattr, Tue Oct-22-13 02:12 PM
664665, This one from the last episode was my shit:
Posted by Anfernee, Thu Oct-24-13 04:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU

I been playing it non-stop ever since.

That piano.
664669, Haha! I Shazam'd that one myself.
Posted by Brew, Thu Oct-24-13 07:35 AM
664495, I'm two episodes back...
Posted by Brew, Tue Oct-22-13 08:33 AM
but the pilot was really funny and the 2nd episode was good too. I plan on catching up tonite. I dig it so far.
664502, Caught the last 2 eps & I'm struggling w/ this
Posted by jigga, Tue Oct-22-13 09:50 AM
it's hard to buy that
>these folks are SO dumb as to do some of the things they do,
>Jessica especially, seeing as she's supposed to be a veteran
>struggling actress who should know better than to repeatedly
>play herself in the ways that she does...

I did like how she snuck into the audition tho

& the intro is dope
664525, The 4th episode was FUCKING BRUTALLY CRINGEWORTHY
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Oct-22-13 01:56 PM
I really dig this show thus far. The criticism is kinda insane, to be honest. It takes more than 30 minutes of storytelling to show multiple sides to a character...people had written off Merchant's character as unlikable and mean after the PILOT.
664530, If you're talking about the Jessica criticism, no.
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Oct-22-13 02:15 PM
It really makes ZERO sense for a struggling actres-- er, "actor" like Jessica to stand up in a room full of people she does not know - even if she is competing with a rival for a spot in a prestigious magazine - and not only tap dance for a few beats, but then CONTINUE to tap onto a table and keep doing it past the point she's told to stop.

It's a very funny, very painful bit, but it's also not realistic. And yes, people have played themselves for less in this town, but not in the world of this show.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides
664538, No, I'm talking about the Stuart criticism.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Oct-22-13 03:20 PM
Critics wrote him off as too unlikable and mean after the pilot. I even said exactly that in my reply.
664703, He's no more unlikeable than Larry David.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Oct-24-13 11:44 AM
664531, I love it.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Tue Oct-22-13 02:36 PM

i'm out.
Posted by DJ007, Wed Oct-23-13 02:01 PM
something about him bitching about his wife leaving him just gets on my nerves...lol. Hell Kevin weisman's character is in a wheelchair and he wasn't sulking ,he pulled three ladies in one night!
Posted by Brew, Wed Oct-23-13 03:15 PM
I just caught up on the last 2 episodes last nite. Just great stuff all around. I laugh out loud several times per episode.
664664, Merchant is that dude.
Posted by Anfernee, Thu Oct-24-13 04:10 AM
Shit is hilarious and the music is on point.

Total David Brent-style awkwardness. So good.
664705, I love it... and am really happy for Merchant to finally lead in a show
Posted by HighVoltage, Thu Oct-24-13 11:50 AM
Its basically The Office for dating.

yeah, its over the top and may not be incredibly realistic scenarios.... but did you laugh? of course.

and it has heart, so they are likable characters.

The one criticism I have that surprisingly no one has really mentioned is that its becoming painfully obvious that Stuart and Jessica will fall for eachother.
664728, I said this to my roommate the other day....
Posted by Brew, Thu Oct-24-13 01:02 PM
>The one criticism I have that surprisingly no one has really
>mentioned is that its becoming painfully obvious that Stuart
>and Jessica will fall for eachother.

...but then the show would more or less effectively be over after one season, right? So I feel like they have something up their sleeves. Some kind of wildly awkward/uncomfortable/cringe-worthy attempt at a relationship that will allow the show to continue, or something.

But yea --- I agree that it certainly feels like they are leading towards that in a way-too-obvious way, which is almost *why* I assume they have something good up their sleeves.
664789, I really hope they don't.
Posted by Anfernee, Fri Oct-25-13 12:46 AM
>The one criticism I have that surprisingly no one has really
>mentioned is that its becoming painfully obvious that Stuart
>and Jessica will fall for eachother.

Shows need to just let men and women be platonic sometimes.
664783, Great show
Posted by Mgmt, Thu Oct-24-13 11:13 PM
665190, Bringing the vagrant home was dumb.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Oct-30-13 10:10 PM
Dumb, as in a dumb storyline.
I was annoyed the entire time cause I saw where it was going.
665950, Too British
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Nov-12-13 10:22 AM
The Biggest Difference to me between The American Office and The British Office is that Michael Scott was someone you could root for.

This Show is all of the cringe worthiness of The Office without any of the redeeming qualities of Michael Scott that make you want him to succeed.

By Too British I think this show is a bit too dark and pessimistic about human nature.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
666403, Good finale for a very good season
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Nov-18-13 02:41 AM
Just reinforced the idea of friendship with Stuart and Jessica. Kinda knew Jessica would be headed for a tumble when she was flossing a little too hard with ol' girl at Federal Bar. That shit always happens.

The small bit with Stuart and the valets was very funny

And Kives ALWAYS gon' be straight, that's what's up

I really dig the vibe of this show, hopefully HBO will bring it back

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides
666493, RE: Good finale for a very good season
Posted by EDouble, Mon Nov-18-13 04:10 PM
Agreed Merchant (& Gevais) have gotten multiple seasons on all of their other shows, I think he will get the benefit of that this time around.

I really need a GIF if Stephen "habitually" line stepping over the velvet ropes outside of the niteclub.
666527, I hated the finale.
Posted by subjctmattr, Mon Nov-18-13 08:35 PM
Out of character, they set this show up that dude would kill his momma to be with the model now he got the model, on the beach, skinny dipping, talking about how hard her nipples are, and he gonna bounce??

BULLSHIT!! Not even for Jessica. That's not the character they created.
666530, Oh, so you know the character better than the guy who created it.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Nov-18-13 09:07 PM
Right.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides
666536, Come on....that's a bit harsh don't you think?
Posted by subjctmattr, Mon Nov-18-13 09:53 PM
I know I didn't create the character, but I did watch the entire season.

I watched him shit on every human being in his life for the dream of a piece of model pussy...
But NNOOWWW he finds it in himself to be caring? NOW with the model of his dreams basically begging him to hit it?

Maybe I have no idea about the character. Maybe you know the character better than all of us, maybe the shows creators / writers had a soft spot in the character that they didn't show in all the other episodes, but I'll say that was completely out of character for the guy THEY created for us to know.
666558, Stuart doing what he did wasn't "completely out of character"
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Nov-19-13 03:44 AM
Some may argue that it was "predictable," but it certainly wasn't out of character

He's been living with this person for a minute, has seen her struggles over the years, and also has seen her epically play herself in front of company in order to get noticed

He was also there when she got the NCIS role and celebrated that big win with her, so the empathy factor is there when he learns she lost the role

Not to mention he HAS to feel some kind of empathy after her douchebag of a boyfriend asks Stuart to lie to Jessica for him

Not to also mention that this deal was kinda setup last week when Stuart and Jessica, after once again being handed their respective epic Ls, danced with each other

The point being there's a lot that's been seen, and a lot that's assumed and unseen between these Stuart and Jessica that their moment at the very end of the season is more than well-earned and in no way inconsistent with anything that's come before it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides
671511, I see what you're saying, but I feel like it was out of character
Posted by Dae021, Thu Jan-30-14 10:35 AM
They created a dude the entire season who's sole motivation was to get a model naked and he one in the water, on the beach and he turned it down for the chick that lives upstairs.

The whole thing about feeling bad about the boyfriend playing her, dude fed into that. He never cared that dude treated her poorly he was an accessory to all that.

I didn't like the situation, and I really didn't like the reaction.
671670, that was the point though
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jan-31-14 03:46 PM
that he's that guy but he's not really that guy. and that he actually cared about someone enough, that he'd drop the prize he'd been chasing all season.

they were showing us he's a human being underneath it all

671358, nah,they were just showing he wasn't a complete piece of shit
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-28-14 04:04 AM
that despite it all, he does have a heart.

i think that if the show continued, they would want to give us at least some reason to want root for him.

i felt like an ending like that was inevitable.

666994, Yeah, him leaving the model bugged me, but I liked the episode
Posted by Grand_Royal, Sat Nov-23-13 10:14 AM
He's had the worst luck ever with women, hard to believe he catches a break and he's the one to back out.
666548, best ep of the season IMO
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Nov-18-13 10:44 PM
glad stuart finally showed hes got some heart in there somewhere...and that valet running up the hill joke was got damn hilarious
666738, She's a model. I told you not to bring that up.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Nov-20-13 01:24 PM
Ha ha. I loved that entire beginning with him looking for excuses to show off his model picture.

And YES, that valet scene was hilarious.
667368, I'm so glad they didn't hook up.
Posted by Anfernee, Wed Nov-27-13 11:39 PM
That would be the worst move.
667363, Kives is too cool; I like when he wins!
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Wed Nov-27-13 09:46 PM
671091, No 2nd season for Hello Ladies, instead wrap show.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Jan-23-14 08:24 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/hbos-family-tree-will-not-be-renewed-hello-ladies-will-wrap-run-with-special-getting-on-eyes-second-season-pickup/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"HBO is making decisions on the three new comedy series that premiered last year. The pay cable network has opted not to order a second season of Family Tree. Also not going to second season is Hello Ladies, which will wrap the story of Stuart Pritchard (Stephen Merchant) and his group of friends with a special — similar to the way HBO ended Ricky Gervais’ Life’s Too Short. There is no final decision on medical comedy Getting On but it is expected to get a second-season renewal pending the sorting out of budget issues."
671177, Damn, This was much better than Getting On. Sorry to see it go
Posted by placee_22, Fri Jan-24-14 10:46 PM
671183, No it wasn't.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Sat Jan-25-14 05:40 AM
I liked it. Sucks that it's gone. But ain't no way it's better than Getting On.
671180, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Sat Jan-25-14 02:36 AM
Damn I loved this show....
671357, that sucks, but i'm not really sure where this show could have gone
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-28-14 03:52 AM
other than Stuart and Jessica eventually hooking up (which is where it seemed to be heading), i'm not sure how long we could watch them both fail.

I did enjoy it, tho. i was hoping for a second season.
671478, Yeah this
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Wed Jan-29-14 07:00 PM
>other than Stuart and Jessica eventually hooking up (which is
>where it seemed to be heading), i'm not sure how long we could
>watch them both fail.
>
>I did enjoy it, tho. i was hoping for a second season.

As much as I love this show, it's pretty one note. I would be interested in another season or two. But I know this is a show that could get uninteresting quickly.