Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAn improvement over Part II
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=643457&mesg_id=651047
651047, An improvement over Part II
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu May-23-13 03:04 AM
Fairly straightforward story but the tone was decidedly (and thankfully) less mean than the one that came before it

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it's a good movie. It just sort of lays there, with laughs that happen in pockets (the pawn shop scenes with Melissa McCarthy, the scene after the first set of end credits) mixed with a couple of odd set pieces and action that doesn't make any sense... the ZOMG shock laughs are pretty much held in check, which was fine, but if you're going to do that then you need more jokes, and specifically, more jokes that are actually funny, since this one is pretty much an action comedy.

Once again, Zach and Ken Jeong were the movie, with everyone else yelling out WHAT THE FUCK at random intervals, which was supposed to echo our thoughts as everything unfolds, I guess? The last time, I didn't have much of a beef with Ken's "performance," but this time I thought a little of him went a long, LONG way. Zach also annoyed me more than I thought he would, although I thought his quiet moments (like the ones with McCarthy) were when he was at his best. And I actually looked at a couple of the actors, such as Bradley Cooper and Mike Epps, and, every time they appeared on screen, wondered why they were in this movie.

All that said, once again, the audience I saw this with ate most of this up, though, like me, they didn't exactly crack up at every joke. And I know that everyone involved is swearing that this will be the last one, but once Time Warner backs up that Brink's truck after this weekend's (possibly huge) grosses, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to wring one more out.

Hmph.

___________________________________________________________________________________
A No Rough Stuff Type Deal