Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLots of funny stuff
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=635053&mesg_id=653302
653302, Lots of funny stuff
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Jun-13-13 01:20 PM
The thing that struck me is how the movie does a nice job of playing off of the stereotypes of young "hipster" Hollywood that so-called ordinary joes don't like without pandering to that audience by slamming everything about that culture.

For every line about how they're all lame actors pretending to be tough, or every Jay Baruchel line about how lame everybody in L.A. is and he just wanted to hang with his buddy Seth (there's the Apatow influence, btw), there's a heated argument about one's right to bust nuts all over another dude's place (which was fucking hysterical) or a visual of a demon with an erection, or a fey Jonah Hill playing with what everyone thinks is a loaded gun. Just when you think Rogen and Goldberg are going to "go in," they pull back and give you a dick joke or five. Fine by me.

I'm actually glad that Rogen and Goldberg didn't lace this thing with acerbic shots at Young Hollywood. That would have been boring, and, coming from gentle bear Seth Rogen, a bit dishonest. To me, that's why Observe and Report didn't work, because Seth Rogen just doesn't do "dark" very well. And in case anyone asks, this is not a dark comedy.

It is still quite funny, mainly because, even in the face of the Apocalypse, everything's still shaggy dog and kinda laid-back.

I thought Craig was fantastic, Franco was (once again) very funny, and Danny McBride, while doing a slight variation on Kenny Powers, was also cracking me up. Everyone else was fine.

And coked-up Michael Cera is very, very funny.

Goofy as fuck, and some might say offensive, but eh.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Im not posting in PTP