Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHa, even Nichols' statement about ambiguity is kind of ambiguous...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=567394&mesg_id=600829
600829, Ha, even Nichols' statement about ambiguity is kind of ambiguous...
Posted by The Analyst, Tue Feb-28-12 09:35 AM
But, personally, I think what he's saying fits with what I was originally saying in here last week.

The "storm is real" folks have correctly pointed out that Curtis' wife was supportive of him throughout the movie, and that is indisputable, but I think the key difference in the last scene is that Curtis had finally explicitly "let her in" to his world. The important change isn't in her character - she always wanted to help - but in his, because he had now opened up and was willing to accept her help. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the scene preceding the final "storm" show Curtis seeking professional help with his wife by his side? That was the turning point. I just love the poetry of him no longer having to "weather the storm" of mental illness alone.

The movie isn't exactly fresh in my mind. I'll need to watch it again to look for some of the specifics of the last scene that you guys have pointed out. Frank, is it possible that the camera spent more time on the wife and the daughter in the final scene because it was the first time they were seeing "the storm" from Curtis' point of view? I don't know...again, I'll have to re-watch.

I sort of come down on Will's side that if the storm is real, it changes way I'd interpret the whole first part of the film. It would basically mean he was a prophet, wouldn't it? So, was he right to move his dog outside, because there was a possibility it would attack the family? Was he right to build the storm shelter, since the storm he imagined actually came?

>"But as long as they're seeing the same thing I
>think there is a resolution and the possibility of hope in the
>film."

To go back to Nichols' statement, if the storm was real, apocalyptic or otherwise, I wouldn't see much possibility of hope in that. Curtis had visions of massive storm that was going to kill people, his vision came to fruition, and, the end? I think the fact that Curtis is finally actively letting his family in to his world to help him weather the storm of his illness fits a lot more in with that possibility of hope. Yes, storms will continue to come, but as long as Curtis and his family are "seeing the same thing", it will be easier for Curtis (and his family) to cope and make it through.

You guys with an opposing viewpoint might be right, but I think there is too much substance on this side of the argument to discount it entirely.

Again, I need (and can't wait) to re-watch the movie.