Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI really enjoyed Charlie Day and Foxx, but that was about it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=567063&mesg_id=572236
572236, I really enjoyed Charlie Day and Foxx, but that was about it
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jul-11-11 12:05 PM
Just felt that, for such a plot-driven movie, things didn't seem to go far enough... things always threatened to spiral out of control, but never really did. And as a result, the movie came off as being too safe and not nearly as funny as it should have been. It's a movie that relies on the characters' (and our) shared knowledge of "how these things are supposed to go" but the problem is that, instead of flipping that on its head, the plot played out somewhat to form.

I agree with Longo that the funny that *was* there was mainly in the scenes with the guys talking to each other about what was going on. Each of the bar scenes (with the guys themselves as well as the guys at Foxx's bar) were pretty damn funny, and that's mainly because of the dialogue. And once they had to get down to business regarding the plot, that's when things went off the rails for me.

I thought that Charlie Day was pretty hilarious. He nailed his character and came off quite believable as a bumbling dude with quite the dilemma... although I think it would have been a bit more believable if it weren't Jennifer Aniston in Hot Bitch mode. Put Roseanne in that role and see if the situation doesn't only get funnier, but also more believable.

Jason Bateman can make me laugh at just about anything but his character here was too flat. I just didn't care that his boss was shitting on him and that he wanted to off him.

I thought Jason Sudeikis was okay but I just didn't believe him as a pussy hound. I would have bought him more as a wannabe pussy hound, a dude who talks a lot of shit but ultimately can't produce.

Colin Farrell should have been given more to do.

Kevin Spacey was too over-the-top to be taken seriously.

Aniston was fine, given the material.

The movie was okay but anyone who says this movie was funnier than Bridesmaids should be drug tested.

also on Facebook

Back for 22 mo' -- January 2012

HAI HATERZ