Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectoh really? you have this on good authority?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=558025&mesg_id=558185
558185, oh really? you have this on good authority?
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Mar-12-11 10:05 AM
>no, they wouldn't.

so..you're really going to sit here and tell people you know for a fact that that *could possibly* exist but that you otherwise know absolutely nothing about absolutely would not ever invade for this reason?

well fuck i'm all ears for your explanation here. it's amazing that you would know this.

i don't care if liquid water doesn't
>exist anywhere else in the universe. these guys have mastered
>interstellar travel and advanced intergalactic warfare, but
>haven't figured out how to put together two atoms of hydrogen
>and one atom of oxygen?

oh yeah, the classic "if you can do THIS you absolutely ought to be able to do THAT!" argument.

quick question- isn't water considered a limited resource? if it was such an easy thing to synthesize in mass quantities, don't you think we, ourselves, would cease to have so much drought across the world? or is this a super secret method only the illuminati uses but keeps from us as a method of population control.

but oh yeah, since they figured all that other shit out, then they should have figured out how to create water. right? logic doesn't even exist in your assumption.

>or how to melt ice?
i can freeze any substance- coke, oil, kool aid, maple syrup- melting it doesn't make it water.

>'cause that's
>everywhere. you can get tons of it on nearby mars without
>having to fight an enormous war over it.

and? you're assuming it's all actual iced water, not ice from another substance. also, you're forgetting one thing about the movie: the scientists on tv were using their best guess based on onservation. it seemed accurate, but who knows what other motive they could have had in the process? oh, and why can't we melt ice from mars and bring it here?

also, i love how people try to make all these arguments of logic inn movies "they wouldn't do this because it's so much easier to have done it another way!" as though we, ourselves, in real life, don't make irrational decisions where other alternatives are possible.

>and they haven't figured out how to build spaceships that run
>on something other than this super rare liquid only found in
>one remote corner of the universe?

i didn't get the impression that it was necessarily a fuel source. could be wrong though.