Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectit was fantastic, more memorable than anything in the Keaton interview
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=545279&mesg_id=643978
643978, it was fantastic, more memorable than anything in the Keaton interview
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Mar-12-13 09:52 PM
>Though I thought he was loud and wrong about whether or not
>Johnny Cash was "aware" of what was going on during his albums
>with Rick.

I don't think that's really 'loud & wrong' from his perspective.

This is a dude who grew up actually *knowing* Johnny Cash.

And I'm sure for a dude who remembers being a kid & seeing that dude in full health/swagger must have appeared to be a superhero type to him.

I don't really blame him for feeling like that guy, the devoutly religious force of nature that he was, might not have been meant to be recording Danzig records while laying in a 3/4 reclined craftmatic bed with a mic in his face until he ran out of breath.

I loved the 'Hurt' cover but I don't think it's unfair to say that Rubin went to the well a few too many times making six or seven albums worth of that type of stuff while becoming increasingly frail & fighting off death.

Guaranteed he actually told Rick that to his face his thoughts on that a long time ago as well.

Thought that him sorta pointing out the 'stripped down' retro strategy not working for everybody (correctly pointing out that wasn't why people appreciated Neil Diamond's career) was kinda interesting too.

Almost had me feeling like Rick Rubin almost being like the mainstream version of Steve Albini at this point.

Then I looked for an album he'd produced in the past decade that I really liked & couldn't find one.

Maybe he should try to make rap records again because '99 Problems' was hot.