Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectX-Men Origins: Wolverine Revisited
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=476461
476461, X-Men Origins: Wolverine Revisited
Posted by Midtown Records, Sun Sep-20-09 03:47 AM
Well, I picked up the X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2-Disc Special Edition) DVD and after watching a few more times, with and without the audio commentaries from the director and producers, I guess I like it a little more than I did when I saw it in the theatre... or not :-)

The truth is, after Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, it's hard to take any of the X-Men films too seriously.

Anyway, the audio commentary with director, Gavin Hood kept my interest.

However, the commentary with producers, Lauren Shuler Donner and Ralph Winter was pretty boring, if you ask me.

I enjoyed The Roots Of Wolverine: A Conversation with Stan Lee and Len Wein Featurette.

Len Wein "kind of" cleared up the whole question of whether or not Logan was born with bones claws or not.

And I say "kind of" because it still seemed a bit suspect... but he would know, I guess.

Anyway, I made this post to try to get a feel for any updated opinions of the film and/or opinions of the DVD if anyone bought it.
476462, I just saw it for the first time
Posted by Wrongthink, Sun Sep-20-09 04:26 AM
and I can't say I was surprised at what it was, but there were some choices they made that just left me scratching my head. The last act completely negated any emotional investment you had leading up to it. They essentially just said 'sike' and didn't even bother trying to fill in the massive gaps they left. They were just like "fuck you, what are you doing caring about the plot anyway?"

Liev Schriber was good, quite good. So was Danny Huston, but I just generally like him.

The rest of the mutants were just corny and weren't helped at all by the dialogue. I usually like Ryan Reynolds, I just don't think he got the opportunity to do the Deadpool character any justice. They fucked up Remy LeBeau something terrible. Blob had potential but it just ended up being silly. I don't think I have to mention Wil.I.Am.

Bone claws are bad enough, but maybe I'm alone on thinking that in the movies Wolverine just heals way too damned fast. It takes away any real gravity of an injury. "Oh, a five ton log just fell on him. He'll be alright." Chronicles of Riddick suffered from the same problem, they essentially made the character invincible, and in so doing eliminated all the concern you have for the character you're supposed to care about.

What I still want is a hard-R wolverine reboot in which you really get to see the berserker rage that all the movies completely dropped the ball in examining. No pussy shit, I wanna see a brainwashed killer on blood-soaked, government-sponsored rampages in third world countries until he attains self-awareness, revenge and ultimate redemption. The character has way too much Cool Potential to just run the numbers in studio flicks forever, this has to get done.
476522, RE: I just saw it for the first time
Posted by loki2stunt, Sun Sep-20-09 07:01 PM

amen to everything u said, i mean gambit was a tease, He shows up at the end after all the fightings done. Its like where the hell did he go to. They should have been fighting omega red at the end. That would have saved this movie for me. U hit everything else on the head.
476526, Wait while Universal gets right on the task of making
Posted by numark216, Sun Sep-20-09 07:16 PM
a loved and marketable character into some tepid gore-fest with limited revenue potential. In fact, hold your breath while you wait...the time will pass faster.
476594, Not that you have to be a dick about it
Posted by Wrongthink, Mon Sep-21-09 12:45 AM
which you are being, but Jackman's Wolverine has pretty much run its course. Where else do you think they can go with the eventual reboot but darker and closer to the comics?

You can keep all the explosions and fights on top of nuclear power plants if you get a good script and a good pair of nuts. Low on revenue? Maybe relatively, but it wouldn't be low on profit. A balls-out Wolverine reboot would be hella popular with 18-35 males.
477439, why not just shoot a rated r version and make cuts for the theatrical...
Posted by eldealo, Fri Sep-25-09 07:58 AM
release to achieve a pg-13. release two-versions for dvd and blu-ray. hasn't it been done before?
-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.infin8photography.com
477667, Because it's not as simple as blood & guts
Posted by Wrongthink, Sat Sep-26-09 06:34 PM
It's what you're willing to have the character do, not what you're willing to show. Whatever graphic extremes you might get to have to flow from your central idea about who Wolverine is and what motivates him.

Will he murder? Is he savage? Is he struggling to tame his wild instincts or does he always make the right decisions? Does he have razors on his hands or stabbing weapons?
476973, in an ideal world sure
Posted by Beamer6178, Tue Sep-22-09 02:18 PM
but there is no mainstream comic character that is softened as much as he is, and he's also one of the most popular ever. the more likely happening is for there to be a lionsgate films version of wolverine where he can wreck it, but I doubt they'll ever let that character go big screen to do damage.
476475, RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine Revisited
Posted by Brother_Afron, Sun Sep-20-09 07:58 AM

>
>Len Wein "kind of" cleared up the whole question of whether or
>not Logan was born with bones claws or not.
>

What did he say about them?
476478, He implied that Logan was born with them but...
Posted by Midtown Records, Sun Sep-20-09 08:37 AM
you'd have to see it for yourself.

The way he said it was very suspect.

I don't have the time right now but if I get a chance, I'll watch it again and get his exact words.

It wasn't convincing to me whatever he said.

But he created Wolverine and he would know.
476480, In the original Origins comic he pops them as a kid and kills his mom
Posted by Darryl_Licke, Sun Sep-20-09 09:09 AM
the oddity is that he was always sick as a kid.
476482, I don't think him being sick is too odd...
Posted by Midtown Records, Sun Sep-20-09 09:56 AM
It could easily be understood that it wasn't until puberty that his healing gene kicked in.
476512, the claws have been said to be part and parcel to his x-gene
Posted by Darryl_Licke, Sun Sep-20-09 04:59 PM
so if they were always there...him being sick as a kid...is odd.
476519, No, not really fam...
Posted by Midtown Records, Sun Sep-20-09 06:40 PM
Considering this is all fantasy land crap in the first place, I think it's still potentially, pretty easily understood.
476555, no. you're wrong.
Posted by Darryl_Licke, Sun Sep-20-09 09:34 PM
that's the best retort I can do right now...be it right or not.
476556, LOL, I just think there's a better word than "odd" is all.
Posted by Midtown Records, Sun Sep-20-09 09:35 PM
476486, RE: He implied that Logan was born with them but...
Posted by Brother_Afron, Sun Sep-20-09 10:24 AM
>you'd have to see it for yourself.
>
>The way he said it was very suspect.
>
>I don't have the time right now but if I get a chance, I'll
>watch it again and get his exact words.
>
>It wasn't convincing to me whatever he said.
>
>But he created Wolverine and he would know.

That's why I was asking. When he originally introduced Wolverine he wrote him as a 19 yr old who was as strong as Spider-Man. The claws were "diamond hard" and were only attached to the gloves. The whole bone claws thing came about as a retcon.
476489, I don't want to ever watch it again.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Sep-20-09 10:37 AM
Not only did it upset the geek in me, but I was literally bored by the "action" in it. Maybe one or two cool sequences in a 90-minute flick, and they weren't even THAT cool.

The little kid scream at the beginning is where the X-Men franchise officially died to me.
476513, I agree...
Posted by Darryl_Licke, Sun Sep-20-09 05:02 PM
>The little kid scream at the beginning is where the X-Men
>franchise officially died to me.

that was taken straight from the comics though. Albiet, it was done 100x better in the comics.
476597, LMAO THIS upset the geek in you yet you think X2 is good?
Posted by icecold21, Mon Sep-21-09 12:49 AM
That doesn't make sense. Wolverine wasn't any worse in terms of adaptation from the book than the first 3 flicks. If anything, it was easier to swallow because it was expected.
477057, Wolverine fails on every level that X2 succeeds.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-22-09 08:40 PM
It's not the loyalty to the book that I take issue with. It's the acting, directing, writing, effects work, production design, costumes, makeup, sound, light, choreography, and editing I take issue with. It's a boring, unexciting, and laughably bad movie.
477109, AMEN!!!
Posted by bwood, Wed Sep-23-09 09:27 AM
Hate to say I told you so...

Everyone should've took the warning when they said there was no difference between the finished film and the workprint (besides effects).
477726, ^^^ sums up my thoughts perfetly
Posted by dunk, Sun Sep-27-09 10:37 AM
saw this yesterday and it was pure garbage.
476544, It wasn't THAT bad...
Posted by phenompyrus, Sun Sep-20-09 08:28 PM
But it wasn't that good either.

The team at the beginning should of been in the whole movie.
476599, Incredible Hulk really wasn't that good either.
Posted by V3rb, Mon Sep-21-09 01:09 AM
just better than the 1st piece of crap.

I don't have anything constructive to add other than Wolverine Origin sucked.
----------------------
Wretched swine...
476606, To each their own but...
Posted by Midtown Records, Mon Sep-21-09 05:13 AM
believe it or not, I enjoy The Incredible Hulk more than I do Iron Man.
476607, Javier Bardem would rule as Logan/James Howlett/Wolverine!!
Posted by da_illest_one, Mon Sep-21-09 05:58 AM
and forget the notion that a hard-R rated film wouldn't do well. Terminator, Aliens, Blade(I-III), Conan and many other R-rated franchises did well with audiences and made major figures in the theaters, so why wouldn't Wolverine??? I would have a director like Tarantino or del Toro helm the film with occassional F-bombs being dropped here and there. How could you correctly depict a unit of psychotic serial killers with super-human abilities without a drop of blood being shown or any dismemberment? Omega Red, Deadpool, Lady Deathstrike, Sabertooth, Daken, Wildchild, Cyber, Weapon XI, X-23, Maverick, and others were waaaaaay worse than Blade in terms of killing others so an R-rated film would do them justice. Blood and gore galore with a re-imagined semi-iconic comic costume would have Wolverine fans going bugnuts while seeing it. The main reason why they made the X-men/Wolverine franchise PG-13 was to market to kids during the summer season and sell toys. I think its a smart move on the studio's part but it strays too far away from the rawness and essence of the comics.
476651, I loved Incredible Hulk
Posted by Af-1, Mon Sep-21-09 10:09 AM
I hope Norton et al sign on for more (if they haven't already). Don't understand why people didn't like it - I thought it was really entertaining.
476825, I don't see how you could like the Hulk comic
Posted by OldPro, Mon Sep-21-09 06:52 PM
and not like that movie. I mean if people just don't like the character I can respect that ... but that movie did a great representing the the best of the comics.

Reunion Radio September Artist of the Month: The Bar-Kays

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/
http://reunionradio.podomatic.com/
476859, That movie was influenced by the tv series
Posted by Brother_Afron, Mon Sep-21-09 09:52 PM
The latest movie was enjoyable for what it was, but in the comics the Hulk has an actual personality. In the Norton movie he was just a big monster that broke shit.
476883, maybe they were building towards that though?
Posted by Af-1, Tue Sep-22-09 03:56 AM
SPOILER.................

but maybe with Norton attempting to control it in the final scene, and the 'Hulk Smash' part, maybe we would've seen more of that in a follow-up movie?

Maybe, maybe not.

476900, this is what i got from it too
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Tue Sep-22-09 09:27 AM
477045, RE: maybe they were building towards that though?
Posted by Brother_Afron, Tue Sep-22-09 07:14 PM
>SPOILER.................
>
>
>but maybe with Norton attempting to control it in the final
>scene, and the 'Hulk Smash' part, maybe we would've seen more
>of that in a follow-up movie?
>
>Maybe, maybe not.
>
>

Possibly, but my comment was directed at the existing movie. I truly doubt that we'll ever see a live action movie that actually examines the Hulk as anything other than a mostly mindless smashing machine since A) it's not what the people want and B) That means more screen time which would drain the cgi budget.
477086, I think it's hard to deduce what people want from a Hulk movie...
Posted by Af-1, Wed Sep-23-09 05:51 AM
I remember when the Bana one came out, everyone I knew (all of which hadn't read any of the comics) were confused that Hulk was as big and athletic as he was - their basis of Hulk had all been formed from the TV show, and that's what they wanted from the movie.

Personally, I'd like to see one which doesn't involve him constantly being chased by the army.
477112, RE: I think it's hard to deduce what people want from a Hulk movie...
Posted by Brother_Afron, Wed Sep-23-09 09:39 AM
>I remember when the Bana one came out, everyone I knew (all
>of which hadn't read any of the comics) were confused that
>Hulk was as big and athletic as he was - their basis of Hulk
>had all been formed from the TV show, and that's what they
>wanted from the movie.
>

People see the Hulk on screen and they want him breaking shit. Nothing wrong with that, but yeah thanks to the tv show a lot of people see him as just the thing that Banner turns into and gets him out of trouble. That's exactly what the latest movie provided and it was a lot more well received as a result.

Like I said, I think the movie was enjoyable for what it was going for, I just couldn't clap to the idea that the movie represented the comics in any way, shape, or form.

>Personally, I'd like to see one which doesn't involve him
>constantly being chased by the army.

I think the issue is that since the Hulk isn't an actual superhero, the villain base to choose from isn't that big. I honestly wouldn't mind if more superhero movies chose to make up original villains.
477046, Yep, and don't forget...
Posted by Midtown Records, Tue Sep-22-09 07:15 PM
Hulk went through various personalities in the comic book.
477087, Yeah, I agree...
Posted by Af-1, Wed Sep-23-09 05:55 AM
plus I think the early movies have really been establishing the *rage* aspect of Hulk - I guess it would be hard to show us Banner dealing with it and then Hulk's views too.

Banner unlocking Hulk himself - calmly - opens the door for all new perspectives and personalities, etc.

476616, Wolverine's main offensive weapon isn't condusive to PG/PG13
Posted by GdChil1, Mon Sep-21-09 07:50 AM
flicks...

I mean the fucker has claws that can cut through anything yet you very seldom see him use those claws to inflict damage on mofo's...and it's because it would turn the franchise into a darker flick which marvel just doesn't do...DC does a great job at getting to the "dark" element of their comics but for some reason Marvel is stuck on Disneyizing their flicks in order to appeal to the kiddies.

For all intent and purpose, Wolvie is invincible so you have to humanize him, for the sake of the movie (i.e., the reason why the comics started showing how Magneto could really fuck with Wolvie and his metal bones). I mean all of this is pretty fantasy land anyway so you can't really think that deep about their powers...Realistically I have a problem with all their powers...Magneto could theoretically pull the iron out of all human bodies, Professor X could brainwash everything on earth, etc...etc...
476631, I think Mags did that in X2 or 3
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Sep-21-09 09:15 AM
To some security guard.
476808, They purposely injected that metal in him it wasn't natural iron
Posted by YaBoy...Holla@ME, Mon Sep-21-09 05:26 PM
nm
477133, To be fair, they aren't condusive to any X-Men show/film, ever.
Posted by phenompyrus, Wed Sep-23-09 11:43 AM
476632, I'm gonna watch it again today on my iPod
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Sep-21-09 09:17 AM
I enjoyed just cuz he's my favorite. Seeing it in theaters as many times as I did though, started making me think too much about the dumb shit, lol.
476814, I'm more interested in what they'll do with Deadpool
Posted by jetblack, Mon Sep-21-09 05:57 PM
so dude has katanas in his arms....so HOW THE FUCK DOES HE BEND THEM!!?!?!?

i shook my head when i saw that bullshit.

476871, They aren't any longer than his forearm, right?
Posted by Midtown Records, Mon Sep-21-09 11:41 PM
Anyway, I hope they don't do anything with Deadpool.

That crap was OK for one movie in a series they already messed up.

But I don't really want to watch another movie with Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.
476851, I JUST saw this flick too. Low expectations made it pretty enjoyable tho
Posted by kevlar skully, Mon Sep-21-09 09:04 PM

I knew if I went into it thinking, I would be bitching the entire movie...

That shit was straight for what it was. The relationship between Sabertooth and Logan was good. Deadpool was alright in those early scenes, what they did with him at the end was wack though.

Will.I.am though? What was the point? That accent? Someone needs to get slapped for that.

Remy was pretty throw-away too

Overall, the movie was predictably crap. Hugh Jackman is actually a pretty good Wolvie, but waaaay too tall to make the fanboy in my truly happy.

What I would really like to see from Marvel movies with big casts would be 20 min. or so shorts centered around a main plot. Anyone think that would work for an X-men movie?
476858, "Back to back!"
Posted by agentB, Mon Sep-21-09 09:47 PM
476860, lolz
Posted by kevlar skully, Mon Sep-21-09 09:58 PM

They were brothers!
476925, One of the WORST movies EVER made
Posted by BNueve, Tue Sep-22-09 10:51 AM
477039, Exaggerate Much?
Posted by APDaTruth, Tue Sep-22-09 06:26 PM
c'mon
477209, If you even liked it a little, you gotta be retarded
Posted by BNueve, Wed Sep-23-09 06:07 PM
477440, the game was better than the movie.
Posted by eldealo, Fri Sep-25-09 08:00 AM

-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.infin8photography.com
477612, I have watched this twice... I find it equal to X2. And better than
Posted by Raised under Reagan, Sat Sep-26-09 07:41 AM

Ang Lee's Hulk.
477633, Equal to X2? You mean... in length?
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Sep-26-09 12:09 PM
477689, fuck. me.
Posted by ternary_star, Sun Sep-27-09 12:51 AM
477632, that shit sucked to me man. that shit coulda been WAY better.
Posted by Esco, Sat Sep-26-09 12:07 PM
it was just... idunno. alot of stupid shit.

they have the greatest source material ever and come up with that bullshit.

that fight at the top of the reactor was the stupidest lookin shit i've ever seen. i mean that was the big end fight too?

FOH.
477643, SMH@deadpool being a mutant chud project
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Sep-26-09 01:44 PM
they should have let deadpool be deadpool and it would have ROCKED
477675, wait...you listened to the commentary?!?!
Posted by ternary_star, Sat Sep-26-09 08:11 PM
and you watched that shit multiple times?

tha fuck is wrong with y'all? seriously

dude...there are so many great movies out there. why are you wasting your time with this garbage? i can almost guarantee you that hugh jackman didn't even watch that piece of shit more than once.

jesus christ
477749, lol. right?
Posted by will_5198, Sun Sep-27-09 12:47 PM
477686, it was ALMOST as bad as Ghost Rider. think about that.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Sep-26-09 11:53 PM
477697, ghostrider on the other hand i found to be quite entertaining.
Posted by Esco, Sun Sep-27-09 03:46 AM