Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject"Funny People" might flop
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=456746&mesg_id=456746
456746, "Funny People" might flop
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Jun-11-09 10:39 PM
not saying it's definitely going to, but I could see it under performing. Notice that this vague language is an insurance plan against the L I would be taking if the movie did well and I had said the it's GOING to flop. Didn't say that. nope.

Trouble is though, for a movie starring two famous "funny people" this joint looks pretty heavy and not too funny. If I were in charge of the film's marketing campaign I would at least cleverly convince people that they were going to see their typical Apatow "hilarious with a heart" story audiences have gotten accustomed to the last few summers. But it appears from these drowsy ass commercials that the "hilarious" part has clearly been put on the back burner. I see this unusual advertising approach as being what COULD throw moviegoers off.

in all likelihood, this flick will do pretty well, but it sure is a pretty bold roll of the dice on Apatow's part to have this much faith in his audience.