Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt was the little things
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=438272&mesg_id=440713
440713, It was the little things
Posted by box, Fri Mar-13-09 12:12 AM
Not trying to be argumentative here, because, as I've said, I haven't followed the show much. While I did find the John Connor goes to school bit a little Dawson's Creekish--I would have much rather seen him learning how to use a machine gun in Nicaragua--it was the small details that bugged the bejesus out of me. I won't make some long list, I'll take one representative example:

Mama Connor running out to buy mobile phones for the family.

I shook my head like an etch-a-sketch and was like, what in the holy hell is she doing? That's Skynet!

Now, I understand that the Sarah Connor from T2 had to regain some of her humanity, particularly to be the Sarah Connor from the Chronicles, but she wouldn't become stupid! The thing she is trying to foil is the massive global communications network that is sending, from the future, assassin robots to kill her and the only hope for humanity, and she's going to purchase for herself and her son a direct connection to the massive global communications network? A device that, if not equipped with GPS, can at least be used to triangulate their positions within a few blocks so long as it's turned on? Not to mention this network's potential ability to monitor their plans through saved voice message and text message and possibly even live voice? Even if she knows Skynet doesn't technically exist yet, there is a reasonable enough chance that once Skynet comes online, it will have access to at least some of these records that can then be used as information to pinpoint her locations and movements in the past to better target her and her son for termination.

And even if that scenario is a little far fetched, is she really going to take a chance with the survival of humanity for the sake of the convenience of a cell phone? For T2 Sarah Connor, the answer is an unequivocal "hell to the no!" She was way smarter than that, even at her most paranoid delusional (which we all know wasn't paranoid delusion at all, she always had her head on straight). I absolutely couldn't buy into her turning all stupid and trusting of technology. The had the best reason in the world to play Luddite.

It's a small detail, but it is so fundamental to the entire premise of the character and the show and they futzed it up.

That and much more is why I wrote that show off early.

box