Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBad Boys II isn't really an action movie, is it?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=287687
287687, Bad Boys II isn't really an action movie, is it?
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 11:18 AM
It's really a parody of action movies, right?

I thought the sine qua non of action movies was that, even though they're unbelievable, they have internal consistency and some logic? How can you total 22 cars and a boat and have no casualties? I kept looking at the screen and saying to the cats, I wonder where the taxpayers are in all this?

I'm scared to visit Miami now.

~~~~~

It is painful in the extreme to live with questions rather than with answers, but that is the only honorable intellectual course. (c) Norman Mailer
287690, oh hush and pass me the popcorn
Posted by Esco, Mon Jun-04-07 11:23 AM
just watch the movie and laugh...

its an 'action' movie starring martin laurence... nuff said.
287691, so it's supposed to be a comedy, though, right?
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 11:27 AM
I'm just trying to figure out the genre, that's all.

I'm glad I saw it shortly after having seen Hot Fuzz. :-)

~~~~~

It is painful in the extreme to live with questions rather than with answers, but that is the only honorable intellectual course. (c) Norman Mailer
287694, yup. action comedy
Posted by Esco, Mon Jun-04-07 11:30 AM
explosions and extacy
287697, and rat sex.
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 11:33 AM
rat sex missionary position

weird as bat shit

scratch that

weird as rat sex
287705, that was kinda hot though
Posted by Esco, Mon Jun-04-07 11:45 AM
your nips didn't perk up at all during that scene?
287714, they might've if he'd been hitting ratty style
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 11:58 AM
but rat sex missionary position doesn't really do it for me, lol
287722, hmmm...
Posted by Esco, Mon Jun-04-07 12:09 PM
287692, Jane, did you actually put that on your NetFlix?
Posted by alias for mrhood75, Mon Jun-04-07 11:28 AM
Honestly, I frickin' hated that movie when I saw it theaters. And I loved the first one.
287695, Cosign
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jun-04-07 11:31 AM
>Honestly, I frickin' hated that movie when I saw it theaters.
>And I loved the first one.
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 11:32 AM
One of the main characters in Hot Fuzz is an action film aficionado, and the two that he most frequently mentions are Bad Boys II and Point Break. Maybe I'm kinda screwed up here b/c I saw the parody first, so naturally the one being parodied will look funny, but when Will Smith jumps through the air, shooting guns in both hands, right at the beginning of the movie, and when Martin Lawrence says, "Shit just got real" close to the end, I was delighted and charmed. lol

~~~~~

287718, Yep. And I guessed that's why you watched it
Posted by alias for mrhood75, Mon Jun-04-07 12:00 PM
I guess if you watch it after "Hot Fuzz," you can try to enjoy it's ridiculousness. However, since I saw BB2 first, it made me appreciate the absolute brilliance of "Hot Fuzz."

But I REALLY hated Bad Boys 2. Something about that movie made me think Michael Bay seriously hates life.
287724, this definitely warrants further discussion
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 12:14 PM
I mean, I think Michael Bay has some kind of wild genius related to spending large amounts of money and blowing things up. Also, dropping things off the back of vehicles being chased, see, e.g., autos and dead bodies. But hate life? I don't see it. He preserved so much more life in BB2 than is even within the realm of the imaginable. 22 cars totaled, on a freeway, in fiery blazes, at top speed, and no deaths? I think that screams I LOVE LIFE. lol
287737, its a video game set to film
Posted by Olu, Mon Jun-04-07 12:27 PM
think of it that way and its a lot more fun
287799, video game + stand up routine
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 01:20 PM
yeah, I guess no one dies in video games, lol
287754, I love the classic "don't think about it so much" replies.
Posted by bignick, Mon Jun-04-07 12:46 PM
Guys, some people like to have standards for ALL their movies.
287798, but it's a fair comment
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 01:19 PM
I knew going in that it wasn't going to be thought-provoking, lol

~~~~~

287802, It doesn't have to be thought-provoking. I'd settle for good.
Posted by bignick, Mon Jun-04-07 01:23 PM
And if an action movie or slapstick comedy isn't actually good, the "oh don't take it so seriously" people come out in defense of their bad taste.
287811, so what should I look for in action movies?
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 01:31 PM
what are the standards that makes an action movie good?

I thought maybe the bigger the explosions, the better the movie?

Or am I right in my first post when I say there has to be some kind of internal logic or something?

Like, the whole trip to Cuba kinda, well, kinda stretched my imagination a little TOO far. Oh, right, one DEA employee and we go invade, oh right *smirk*, it's not officially sanctioned, but the CIA goes along. lol

But clearly there are conventions that allow for that level of gunfire to appear in a movie without any victims? Or is that what makes this a bad one?

287816, The same thing you look for in other movies...plus explosions.
Posted by bignick, Mon Jun-04-07 01:41 PM
In every action movie there has to some suspension of belief, just like in wacky comedies or sci-fi. But, within that world, things have to make sense. There has to be logic behind the characters behavior. If you find yourself second guessing the actions in every scene, the fault is not in you for refusing to turn your brain off. The fault is in them for not coming up with a better story. There are tons of action movies from The Great Escape to Die Hard that manage to actually be good.

People just want to lower the standards for certain types of movies so that they don't have to feel bad about liking them. It's one of the standard pleas copped her on PTP. You see it all the time here for mindless action movies, stupid comedies and anything produced by Tyler Perry.
287818, *tries to picture explosions in Once or Old Joy*
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 01:43 PM
I think it's got to be something different for me. What I actually like and look for in films isn't congruent with explosions, lol.
287779, no, it isn't a parody
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Jun-04-07 01:03 PM
and THAT is what makes it great

and think of it as the first post-9/11 (made post 9/11) action movie and that's what makes it scary

and interesting
287797, that's true? It was the first action movie made post 9/11?
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 01:18 PM
huh, that's weird.

I didn't feel that at ALL in the movie.

287805, nothing
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Jun-04-07 01:25 PM
nothing
287785, this movie made me physically sick
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Jun-04-07 01:09 PM
i don't know if it was facial fatigue from having a confused frown the whole movie or the deep-seeded contempt i had for all the people actually enjoying it, but i literally felt seasick for a couple hours after i left the theater.

i've never had a movie-going experience like that.
287788, lol, during the first half or whatever, the first sequence
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 01:11 PM
I kept remarking to the cats that all the guys we know with locs are very peace loving. The cats said it might not be true to life.
287834, this was a shitty movie
Posted by Mgmt, Mon Jun-04-07 02:27 PM
period. And I love quite a few action movies.
287905, The one thing that I loved unreservedly
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 04:41 PM
was the idea of throwing cats and iguanas over the wall to set off the motion detectors.

I really wanted to see a scene of cats and iguanas playing together. lol
287971, LOL!
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-04-07 06:08 PM

>I really wanted to see a scene of cats and iguanas playing
>together. lol
287975, Dude, I'm serious!
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 06:12 PM
What was the FIRST thing that went through YOUR mind when they said, "And we have the bags of cats and iguanas for the motion detectors!"

Didn't you IMMEDIATELY picture the humor of cats + iguanas?

Maybe the cats influenced my thinking on this, lol.
287862, not to mention no deaths in shanty town car chase
Posted by rdhull, Mon Jun-04-07 03:35 PM
287903, Ha! The cats and I remarked on that, too
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 04:39 PM
We noticed that there was a comment that the shantytown was where the cocaine was processed, as though to make smashing up poor people's homes okay. Then we asked ourselves where all the people were, and determined that they must be on holiday at Club Med. Toward the end there were a few people dashing to safety, but oh yeah, no deaths in that silly scene, either.
289288, I thought that scene was the perfect metaphor for capitalism.......
Posted by mc_delta_t, Sun Jun-10-07 10:25 AM
A hummer driving through a shanty town destroying a bunch of poor peoples homes.
287867, It was yet another collection of contrived Will Smith one-liners
Posted by Flash80, Mon Jun-04-07 03:44 PM
I didn't like the movie really that much. I guess with Michael Bay you always know what you're going to get = a high TNT budget...and the protagonist always wins.
287904, his head and his body don't match
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 04:40 PM
He's got this buffed out body and then those funny ears, lol.
287977, There are certain mindless action movies that I love.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-04-07 06:17 PM
This isn't really one of them.

My problem with it is after the first car chase, you go "Whoa!" After the fifth car chase, you go "yawn." It piles it on and piles it on, but doesn't necessarily make the action scene THAT much more impressive. Instead of moving forward, it seemed to just kind of stack in a stagnant way.

Also, I prefer my buddy flicks where their fights are banter-y, not I'm-gonna-swear-at-you-and-get-seriously-mad-constantly fights. Again, it didn't seem to progress. They fought, fought, fought, fought, "shit just got real," reconciliation.

For my money, Point Break is a lot sillier and more fun than Bad Boys 2, if you're going for "Hot Fuzz" referenced mindless action films. Granted, it's quote unquote worse, but I have more fun with those. There's really good action movies, and sit and enjoy with a buddy silly mindless action movies. I feel like Bad Boys 2 kinda should be the latter, but at times fought towards wanting to be the former.

That being said, by overthinking this, I'm negating my whole "I like mindless action movies" thing. LOL, Nick is right to a degree. The problem is when is it okay for a film to be mindless fun, and when does it need to be good? What's that fine line? I don't really think Bad Boys 2 toes it.

Wanna see a REALLY preposterous but really fun Michael Bay movie? I like The Island. Although it stars your glum mouth-breathing sex kitten, Scarlett Johannson. But Ewan MacGregor, Steve Buscemi, and Sean Bean might make up for it.

Also, if you want to go even FURTHER into silliness, there is NO sillier Michael Bay film than Con Air, starring Nicholas Cage, John Cusack, and John Malkovich. It is silly with a capital S. It also, in the right viewing environment, can be a really great time.
287978, okay what the FUCK is wrong with Michael Bay?
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 06:20 PM
what's he doing putting actors I HATE with actors I LOVE?

That's just sick.

I have seen far too much of Nicholas Cage AND Scarlett Johannsen already.

But uh well maybe one a these days, lol.

287979, Scarlett doesn't really have to do too much acting in it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-04-07 06:25 PM
If that sweetens the deal at all. She mostly stands around looking pretty, and her character is supposed to be kind of a nice bland girl.

I don't think it'd bother you too much. But then again, I could be wrong. Very, very wrong. LOL
287980, I always root for the bad guys in his films
Posted by Flash80, Mon Jun-04-07 06:27 PM
General Hummel
the asteroid

and soon, the Decepticons
287995, RE: I always root for the bad guys in his films
Posted by princeguy, Mon Jun-04-07 06:39 PM
Damn ya'll some straight up haters!!

The movie wasn't that bad. It had plenty of action and some comedy added in. Wow, ya'll cats need to lighten the hell up.

288002, ^^^ Janey, this is what Nick is talking about.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-04-07 06:42 PM
If the style of mindless fun in a film isn't YOUR style, then MAN, LIGHTEN UP AND STOP HATING!!!
288007, Yes, I am a straight up hater...
Posted by bignick, Mon Jun-04-07 06:45 PM
..of shitty movies that insult my intelligence.

>The movie wasn't that bad. It had plenty of action and some
>comedy added in. Wow, ya'll cats need to lighten the hell up.

No. What needs to happen is that you immediately get some standards.

288009, I would really be interested to hear if people who live in MIAMI
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 06:53 PM
think that their city was portrayed accurately.

Because I really am too frightened to go there now.
288038, Post jack. Have you seen Cocaine Cowboys?
Posted by bignick, Mon Jun-04-07 07:47 PM
That shit made Miami in the 80s look like the Wild West.
288039, lol no I haven't
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 07:48 PM
did they have 22 car pile ups on the freeway in that movie, too?
288042, Nah, just Cubans and Columbians shooting up shopping malls.
Posted by bignick, Mon Jun-04-07 07:59 PM
>did they have 22 car pile ups on the freeway in that movie,
>too?
288024, lol@the asteroid
Posted by NoShelter, Mon Jun-04-07 07:04 PM
I just cheer against Ben Affleck.
I cheered for Bullseye in Daredevil.
I cheered for the Japanese in Pearl Harbor
I cheered for the Lesbians in Chasing Amy.
288236, GO ASTEROID. KILL THEM HUMANS.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Tue Jun-05-07 12:58 PM

http://www.myspace.com/thievinstealberg
http://gamesadistic.blogspot.com
< her hair stick out further than her boodydoo.
288135, RE: There are certain mindless action movies that I love.
Posted by IslaSoul, Tue Jun-05-07 02:56 AM

>
>Also, if you want to go even FURTHER into silliness, there is
>NO sillier Michael Bay film than Con Air, starring Nicholas
>Cage, John Cusack, and John Malkovich. It is silly with a
>capital S. It also, in the right viewing environment, can be a
>really great time.

This was actually not a Michael Bay movie, its was directed by Simon West.

Produced by Bruckheimer though.
288408, isn't dave chappelle in Con Air also?
Posted by rick, Wed Jun-06-07 12:30 AM
288417, Yes he is. n/m
Posted by IslaSoul, Wed Jun-06-07 02:23 AM
288018, I probably shouldnt post in any forum on this site I guess
Posted by MikeLove, Mon Jun-04-07 07:01 PM
cuz I like all the movies people dislike
including this one
people wanna talk about 'taste in movies'
I gotta shrug my shoulders at all this

I take music seriously, but I aint about to defend rap or any other genre. its not THAT serious. its just music to me

I love my sports but when my team loses, they lose. its not that serious to me

I love movies, they are what they are TO ME...an excape, nothing more nothing less.

cats wanna think they some sort of intellectual cuz THEY wanna argue about whether or not a movie has redeeming moral value & I don't? I'M wrong cuz I say Bad Boyz II was just an entertaining movie, no more, no less?

right fam. u just got free time.

288020, why didn't he show the cats & iguanas prancing about?
Posted by janey, Mon Jun-04-07 07:03 PM
there was only ONE shot of an iguana setting off a motion detector.

See, I woulda been solidly behind this movie if there'd been more cat action.
288182, yeah, i'd say you're better off not posting at all.
Posted by Orfeo_Negro, Tue Jun-05-07 10:28 AM
since you seem to resent the very reason these boards exist in the first place.
288040, Haven't seen it, but what's with the Miami fear?
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Jun-04-07 07:49 PM
Do they make it look THAT bad?

Would you ever want to visit Baltimore having seen Homicide, The Corner and The Wire?
288158, I so badly wanna visit West Baltimore
Posted by MadDagoNH, Tue Jun-05-07 08:23 AM
Head down Fayette Street and shit, just look for locations I've seen on those shows.

Then I realize I'm very white and not very tough, and it frankly may not be the smartest thing. But I'm goin to Baltimore in a couple weeks, and you're damn right I'm gonna be tempted. I'll probably just have to eat some crab cakes and maybe I'll try and hunt down David Simon.

------------
AC Milan: European Champions 06-07

2006-07 Zeno Memorial Cup winner: Chara SMASH
288161, I'd be fine with Baltimore
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Jun-05-07 08:42 AM
They could make the exact same show about Milwaukee.
288189, at least the violence portrayed in those shows is more personalized
Posted by janey, Tue Jun-05-07 11:10 AM
Random gunfire from machine guns isn't the prevailing theme.

It seems like you can't go outdoors in Miami without risk of being caught up in a battle that far outdoes anything I've seen on Iraq in terms of sheer number of bullets and cars blowing up.

288165, personally, I thought this shit rocked.
Posted by The Rapture7, Tue Jun-05-07 08:54 AM
Maybe it's the "John Rambo" complex, but I liked it BECAUSE of it's excess.....not to mention the fact that somebody thought an action sequel starring two Black guys warranted the sort of budget that made that level of debauchery possible....the ecstacy sequence was fucking riotous...
288185, god, i hated that fucking movie
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Jun-05-07 10:53 AM
and it was SOOOOO long it should have been called bad boys 2 AND 3

fuck that movie.
288232, sorry about that janey
Posted by Iltigo, Tue Jun-05-07 12:50 PM
i thought by now someone would have told you about bad boys II by now.

this was mindless to an extreme.

i laughged but really only enjoyed it becaseu it came out in the summer. between the months of may and auguest i turn my brain off and don't care about al the things that make a film good.

only in extreme cases will i care.

this was one of them.

a good action movie set in miami, that was a good film (pretty good, or too good for summer standards anyway) woudl have to be miami vice. check it out and let us know.

i put these type of overblown over the top flicks in toeh "last action hero" category. the governators "last action movie" before he dd a bunch of shitty one, does a pretty good job of lampooning action movie logic. no one is spared, especially arnaold and i think thats waht i enjoyed. unfortunately people seemd to take the first half of the movie that gets lampooned as the standard for action movie excess, and fail to see the critique..oh well

oh check out the last boy scout, for more bruce willis, reluctant hero, bastard goodness.
288237, honestly, truly, I laughed a lot
Posted by janey, Tue Jun-05-07 01:00 PM
I just didn't think I was watching a real action movie. I think JungleSouljah's thread and some of the replies in here show that I'm right.

I'm not really saying it wasn't a "good" movie. I think movies need to be judged within their own particular context and with reference to their intended audience. I am certainly no judge of what makes a good action movie.

I was just stunned by the level of violence contrasted with, for example, the utter lack of wounds inflicted, lol.

I did think it was too long, I admit it. I think a good film of any sort gets you in, punches you in the gut in whatever way it chooses, and then gets you out. There aren't a lot of movies that I have sufficient patience to ride out for 2 1/2 hours.

But that's a minor quibble. I just posted this for amusement and my own edification. lol
288240, uh. shouldn't that movie have ended like 45 minutes before it did?
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Tue Jun-05-07 01:00 PM
the cuba part seemed kinda tacked on to me.

http://www.myspace.com/thievinstealberg
http://gamesadistic.blogspot.com
< her hair stick out further than her boodydoo.
289143, Yeah.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jun-09-07 08:12 AM
288382, It is a real hard 'R' movie
Posted by BigReg, Tue Jun-05-07 10:28 PM
which if you think about it, there hasn't been many this past decade.

Even the horror movies, up until this little recent renaissance, we were stuck with what...the Scream series?

Or even the Matrix, for all that bang bang, its pretty bloodless.

As an action movie, Bad Boy II is just slightly above average.

But at least, its unapologetically violent and testosterone ridden, which is hard to come by nowadays
288388, this is the EPITOME of a movie you need to relax your standards on...
Posted by connectpoliticditto, Tue Jun-05-07 10:56 PM
it was just over-the-top in every way.

the scene with will smith answering the door, talking to the mush-mouthed teenager? hilarious.

the car chases with dead bodies/cars flying at oncoming traffic? hilarious.

the scene with martin high as fuck on X? hilarious.

to be fair, i've seen this movie probably 10 times, and for 9 out of 10 i was smoked out of my mind. that may have had something to do with it, but this movie's entertaining.
288415, No.
Posted by bignick, Wed Jun-06-07 02:15 AM
291148, exactly
Posted by strongjay, Thu Jun-14-07 02:32 PM
289105, i've seen it once..i liked it...
Posted by Calico, Sat Jun-09-07 12:22 AM
...but as said before with most action movies i give a big surreality curve...in fact one of the things i really liked about the movie was the kinda nod back to the 80's/early 90's unbelievable action movies...

and WHO, in their right mind, goes to see BAD BOYS 2 and expects a great "story"??? it's like going to see Norbit and expectin there to be these deep, thought prvoking moments in the film....
289158, my standards = entertain me...
Posted by Torez, Sat Jun-09-07 10:45 AM
however an artist does it,
i don't care...

i can be entertained by some
dudes beating on plastic tubes
just as easily as i can be a
full piece orchestra...

it i enjoy it, that's all i care about.

WWW.TYPEILLYPRESS.COM <-- buy product
http://blog.myspace.com/mtorez <--- recent exploits

<--- SOUTHSIDE NEFERTITI # 3
art by PENCILISM (ye'en ready!)
289272, RE: Bad Boys II isn't really an action movie, is it?
Posted by rare, Sun Jun-10-07 02:45 AM
that movie was a horrible experience.
i was with my gf and the theatre was packed. we sat on the front row, had a frozen neck looking up and didnt knew that it was an 2,5 hour movie.....
.....i wouldnt mind if they left the mexico/south-america-part behind
289450, it sucks that they have to close down a major causeway to film that shit
Posted by djrue, Sun Jun-10-07 09:14 PM
major traffic headaches. but I guess it's cool to see your stomping grounds
on screen.
R.

290944, ABOUT THE CHASE!
Posted by brotherman, Wed Jun-13-07 10:31 PM
To be honest, it really shoul not have logically happened in the FIRST place. If you happen to catch it on cable or rent it or know of someone who has it, be sure to see it right before that scene begins. Now its been a lil while since I seen it last but if im not mistaken, the "bad guys" who hijack that trailer could have been stopped before the whole crazzy thing begins, thus negating that whole SCENE! Im sorry, but its jus somethin I noticed the first time I saw it. I mean, I even remember saying that IF Bay and company decided to just make it so that that flaw was corrected, it would have been ok.

But other than that I agree mostly with Frank. I like alot of mindlesss action flicks, but this one just pushes the envelope til its over the edge and beyond plausibilty and the fights left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially the scene where they pull their gun out on the daughters date. Totally classless.
Anyway...

anyways..
291053, I've never seen an empty 18 wheeler accelerate that quickly
Posted by janey, Thu Jun-14-07 10:48 AM
either, much less one loaded down with ten cars, lol.

291239, movie magic at itz greatest
Posted by brotherman, Thu Jun-14-07 07:21 PM

note I didnt say finest...

anyways..