Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectEhhh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=276935&mesg_id=277308
277308, Ehhh
Posted by Zeno, Sat Apr-28-07 08:21 AM
I dunno. I would hesitate to lump him in with the Ignatieff crowd of liberal interventionists, as much as Hitchens might wish to be seen that was rather than as a quasi-neocon. Ignatieff's perspective has generally been centered on human rights, whereas the whole Islamofascism rhetoric (which Hitchens, try as he might, cannot separate himself from) kinda seems Huntingtonian and focused on a more generalized notion of secular western democracy versus theocracy in the east. Hitchens might've fit the Ignatieff mold prior to 9/11. A lot of his writing about Kissinger's backing of Pinochet and similar dictators was rooting in human rights. But 9/11 and Iraq kind of coalesced his hawkishness with his particular view of the Middle East and superceded whatever kind of rights-based humanitarian intervention he had advocated in the past. Hitchens' crass reaction to the Haditha massacre kind of seals the deal for me on that one.

I am a major, major Michael Ignatieff opponent, but I would hesitate to go so far as to say he's an ideological brother of Chris Hitchens.