Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: I didn't get into either of those characters
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=234961&mesg_id=237602
237602, RE: I didn't get into either of those characters
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Dec-12-06 01:56 PM
"Really? A "villain"? Honestly, I think putting him (or any of the other characters for that matter) into such a generic, ready-made mold only serves to prevent our understanding them better. Lots of different people are lots of different shades of good and bad, no?"

The villain label was for conversation. Tom isn't a cut and dry bad guy but overall, he doesn't really do anything positive in the movie. Name a shade of good in Tom.
----
"I think it's worth considering them in this context."

I did consider it in that context and still thought it was short-sighted and hopeless. Also, it is a chicken vs. the egg situation. Personally, I think the assasination is more of a chickens coming home to roost situation.
----
>Haven is pretty much a villain since he adds
>nothing.

"I don't understand what you mean by this."

Again, name something positive about Haven besides being completely aloof (which isn't even a positive). There isn't any. Nashville is filled with characters that have nothing positive about them.

Personally, I thought everyone just looked bad in this film and it didn't show any shades of good and bad. Everyone appeared to be a caricature. It's a film that allows for a lot of fan fiction but none of the real issues or relationships were ever fleshed out on screen.