Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: great analysis
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=234961&mesg_id=236776
236776, RE: great analysis
Posted by King_Friday, Fri Dec-08-06 11:08 PM
>I hope we get more of this in the club.

I see the club as a great opportunity for really in-depth, spoiler-rich discussion of movies. We spend a lot of time making lists or handing out recommendations here. . . which is fine with me, I love a good list. And we don't want to ruin movies for people by telling them what happens so we don't go into much detail on why certain movies are great. That's understandable. But in the club, where we know everyone is going to be watching then coming in here to discuss a particular movie. . . and with Frank saying this club ought to be about a cinematic education or sorts. . . I think we should go all out with the discussion.

>But you really don't think
>the first two Godfathers have anything to say about American
>society? Not to get off topic...
>
>

No, I didn't mean that at all. The first two godfather movies--especially the second one--have plenty to say about American society. I didn't mean to dismiss those movies (and certainly not The Conversation or Apocalypse Now either).

I consider myself a fan of all those Coppola movies, and certain Scorsese movies too (especially Mean Streets).

Still, I do believe that Altman tapped into something about American society much deeper than they did.

And however crude his technique may have been, Romero's "The Crazies", "Season Of The Witch", and "Dawn Of The Dead" are truly remarkable in their treatment of life in America.

Arthur Penn's "Night Moves" is as good as any movie released during that whole period.

That's how I feel about it, but I also think the second Godfather movie is an essential, must-see film from that period too.

I just think other filmmakers are more deserving of a place at the top.