Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI've seen this once.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=234961&mesg_id=236233
236233, I've seen this once.
Posted by damngirlobserver, Wed Dec-06-06 09:36 PM
And it was awhile ago, so I apologize ahead of time if what I say isn't very in depth or even doesn't make sense.

It took me a long time (45-60 minutes) to get a sense of who the characters were, and even by the end I can't say I ever cared about them. But I don't think Altman ever tried to generate any empathy in the first place. It all seemed very matter of fact, which I tend to like in movies because it seems more realistic.

And even now I'm not sure I understood what the point was. Not that the film needed a point. It didn't start off like a movie that had a point, so it's ok that it never got around to having one. Once again, very matter of fact and realistic.

The one thing I got out of watching it was the way that Nashville seemed to be outside of reality, or at least seemed to have its own reality. Some fairly irregular shit went down, and in public, but no one blinked. It got brushed aside and on went the show. It was almost like the whole city was a variety show, with a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.

And I also enjoyed McCabe and Mrs. Miller more. But probably because it was a more "traditional" type of film story, and easier to digest. Not as ambitious, although ambitious in its own way.