Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDid not like it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=234135&mesg_id=240058
240058, Did not like it
Posted by Call It Anything, Wed Dec-20-06 11:05 PM
I had low expectations going in but I was still disappointed. A lot of people want to like this movie. I'm sure some of them will like it for what it is and some others probably will like it for what they want it to be. But as far as I'm concerned, Rocky V > Rocky Balboa.

I'm a huge Rocky fan. To the point of embarassment. I won't really go into it, but there was a lot of little shit that pissed me off in this movie. Like all of the sudden Rocky went from having 57 wins, 29 by KO (even though I've always asserted that the Drago fight was an unsanctioned exhibition bout and shouldn't have counted towards his professional record thereby making it 56 (28)) all of the sudden he has 57 wins and 54 by KO in this movie. Did they think no one would notice?

Also, what the fuck happened to Rocky's irreversible severe brain trauma? What happened to "You can't get licensed in any state"? Did we just retcon that out like Chuck Cunningham and Judy Winslow?

There's really too much for me to write about, but I barely felt a thing that entire movie. I felt no tension, no drama, no triumph. It felt like watching surgery on one of those late night cable channels. The scene where he's yelling at his son might have been the only part where I felt myself getting into it. Most of the time it was just heavy handed references from the original Rocky and some cute loveable dopey shit from Stallone. I'm really not hard to please. Apparently I'm the only person out there who thinks Rocky V is watchable. But I really did not like this movie.