Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: Yeah, so it was pretty bad.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=234135&mesg_id=236524
236524, RE: Yeah, so it was pretty bad.
Posted by Call It Anything, Thu Dec-07-06 10:46 PM
That's kind of what I was expecting. I'm still curious to see what kind of returns it gets. Maybe if this one makes money Rocky will step into the ring for an exhibition with the mayor of Memphis like Joe Frazier did.

>Oh well, at least we still have 4 entertaining films to remind
>us (I'm not counting the abomination that was Rocky V)

I give Rocky V some credit for having the balls to break the formula set by the first four. On its face, it does a decent job of telling the story of how a boxer copes with life out of the spotlight when he can no longer step into the ring. I also thought the flashback scenes with Burgess Meredith were pretty moving. And the closing credits were great. Took the template from the Rocky IV credits and found the perfect song to summarize Rocky. I can really just watch the closing credits of Rocky V and be entertained.

Of course that's about all the credit it's going to get because the acting was terrible, the Rocky Jr. story was awful and I didn't buy the way Tommy Gunn turned so quickly. The climax at the end was not at all satisfying to me either.

All in all, the movie was bad. But it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. To me it's the difference between failing a test with a 50 and failing a test with a 0. Of course in the end it still fails.