Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectnot to backpedal on my previous post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=187952&mesg_id=188457
188457, not to backpedal on my previous post
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Jun-06-06 01:57 PM
(Which wasn't 100% serious to begin with)

But we need to examine another side of this.

I don't think white writers in general have any sort of racial agenda behind their fiction. What I think it comes down to is characters, and the fact of the matter is, the more you can relate to a character, the easier it is to write for them.

Stan Lee didn't write about white males because he thought white males were the ideal, but rather because as a white male, those characters were probably the easiest for him to understand and write for.

As many of us know, some of those earlier attempts to write for minority voices yielded disastrous results. And as a Prep Time Posse blog recently explored, with there being so few minority characters in comics, that puts a huge burden on writers to get it right. Because when you're writing for Luke Cage, you're writing for like, 1/6 of the black superhero population. That's a lot of pressure. So writers get a little race/gender shy, I imagine.

Of course, as a result you have less minority kids who can relate, thus less minority fans, thus less minority fans who grow up to become comic book/sci-fi/whatever writers. And so on and so forth.

It's a vicious cycle, but maybe one day we can break it and begin living together in harmony in our mothers' collective basements, geeks united.