Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecteh, I think Stan was trying
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=187952&mesg_id=187954
187954, eh, I think Stan was trying
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Jun-05-06 09:49 AM
Although the race message of X-Men was pretty muddled from the get-go, I'm pretty sure his heart was in the right place. As corny as it seems now, a lot of his stuff was considered socially conscious for the time (keep in mind these *were* comic books, and this *was* the 60s-70s)

But this right here, I'll ride with....

>I think that's my whole problem with sci-fi movies. It's like
>black people don't exist in the future. Like a plague came in
>whiped all the black people off the earth and shit.

This gets me, too. Especially your sci-fi 'utopia' stories like Star Trek. It's like once they did away with diversity, things like hunger, war, and poverty just magically went away. It's like the only thing white people had left to worry about was aliens. And they were working on wiping those out, too. I doubt the subtext is intentional, but it's still there. Because, you know, The Matrix was pretty good with its diversity, but look at how shitty those people had it.

I'm guessing these shows are set in the same dimension as Friends and Seinfeld, where you can spend 8 years in New York City and the only black person you'll run into is Aisha Tyler.