Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectsee, I still think it had more to say than that
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=101219&mesg_id=101961
101961, see, I still think it had more to say than that
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Sep-27-05 09:59 AM
But perhaps I was looking too hard...

>These movies have points. Crash just says "America is
>racist." Which we all know.

I dunno man. The thing I picked up on was that America is scared and frustrated, and it manifests itself as racism among other things. It seemed to treat racism as a symptom, but not *the* problem. Which I thought was an interesting take, especially for a wide release, easy to digest film such as Crash. I don't know that the message here is necessarily accurate, or whether or not I'd even agree with it. But it was food for thought.

And while there were a few flat performances, I thought for the most part the characters had plenty of depth. Now, the movie was pretty overt in displaying said "depth," which sort of cheapens things... but like I've said before, with a title like "Crash," you shouldn't really be expecting subtlety.

>This movie is only really shocking to those who say afterwards
>"Who would've thought that there were such racial problems in
>America today?"

I don't think the movie was meant to be "shocking" in any way. I mean, I liked the sentiment, I like how it got its message across, but never once while watching Crash did I think "shocking" or "controversial" If you were looking for this movie to turn the race issue on its ear, then I think you'd walk out of the theater incredibly disappointed. As far as social impact goes, Crash probably rates a notch or two below 'Did You Hear What Happened to Andrea?'

>Although I do owe it gratitude for Jennifer Esposito titty. I
>learned more in that one scene about celebrity titties than I
>did the whole film about racism.

I think that the main point of Crash is that titty trancends all racial boundaries.