Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's its own film. Don't think it has to "be" anything
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=716245&mesg_id=719982
719982, It's its own film. Don't think it has to "be" anything
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Feb-26-17 11:40 AM
Just as Twilight Zone or Black Mirror allow for different takes and no set genre, I think "Get Out" set out to be its own thing. Clearly, it accomplished its goal for most viewers so I don't see the point or benefit of trying to reduce it down to a comparison to other films or fit it into a specific genre. It didn't say, "Well, Rod is too silly so we can't have that because this is a scary movie." I think it balanced his over-the-top character well and it worked and didn't take me out of the film.

As for the specific questions:
- "The founders and creators of the technique perfected it to be house servants in the end? What?!?"
I think they were just doing that to hide from Chris. My assumption was that, once Chris was gone, they would have filled the usual grandparent role in the family.

- "Semi famous people go missing and nobody follows up on that case? To the point that she's binging top NCAA athletes? If Lonzo Ball goes missing, we'll never hear the end of it."
Agreed. That was there for a joke but it didn't make much sense in terms of trying to keep a lower profile or kidnap people that wouldn't be immediately recognized. But it got a laugh in the theater so I think it accomplished that goal, although it seems silly in hindsight.

- "There's black people hanging out with white people and nobody ever has to take a picture wth flash before?"
If the white people knew that the flash would set the morphed people off, not hard to see how they could avoid flashes on cameras.

- "All of the pictures in a red box get replaced and rehung within hours for what purpose?"
This is getting a little nit-picky IMO. For what purpose? She was clearly unhinged. It was unnecessary but it made for a cool visual. It's like people writing on mirrors or windows or countless other things in movies that don't make complete sense but look cool.

"How'd you find me was never answered"
Not sure it needed to be. Had he explained it, it wouldn't have improved the movie in any way. And not hard to assume that Chris had the address on his computer.