Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSteven Universe is the best Cartoon Network show in years.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=695618&mesg_id=695618
695618, Steven Universe is the best Cartoon Network show in years.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Apr-07-15 11:25 PM
I haven't been a fan of some of the zanier efforts to come out of CN in recent years. So this show is really a breath of fresh air. The creator Rebecca Sugar did work on Adventure Time but she must've learned some good lessons from that experience because this show is leagues better.

Just a little background: The show is about a kid named Steven (Universe) being raised by a trio of space warriors called the Crystal Gems who knew his late mother as their former leader. Steven has his mother's powers so he's in training as the 4th Crystal Gem. Don't really want to give away more than that but that's the basic plot.

It's got great, clean character designs & backgrounds. The main cast and community of Beach City is astonishingly well developed. All the emotional moments and character development are genuine and well earned. It's amazing how much they can pack into 11 minutes every week.

The first half of Season 1 gives context of the Crystal Gems interactions with earth and sets the table for the world. If you pay attention well there's a LOT to pick up on that will come into play later. Even the episodes that feel like diversions will all tie into the plot. S1 just ended last month and the sory just kicked it up another notch and raised the stakes in a big way.

I really recommend it. If you love anime, video games and serialized cartoons w/ character development then you really should check it out. I put it even higher than Young Justice and Symbionic Titan.

PS: There's also a RPG out on cell phones now that's been getting really great reviews for a mobile game. I can't wait to play that.