Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI liked it but wasn't completely enamored with it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=657142&mesg_id=667633
667633, I liked it but wasn't completely enamored with it
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Dec-03-13 03:37 PM
It's more of that gently-abrasive quirk from David O. Russell, and that's either something you can clap to, or not

Seems I have to be in the proper frame of mind for his movies, which is just weird

Anyway, I agree with those saying that it's Scorsese lite, the camerawork and production design are outstanding

I had no problem with the story and ultimately what the movie is about, which is NOT what you might be led to believe it is about based on the trailers and commercials

This ultimately is a love story between two grifters, Amy Adams and Batman, and the large issue of trust that towers over everything that they do

Movie features a solid ensemble but I thought Amy's performance was the strongest of the piece, even stronger than that mighty FIIIINE white woman YESSUH Jennifer Lawrence. Sadly, I think Amy's gonna get overlooked, because I didn't think JL's performance was anything special; she's an immature young girl who's popping off at the mouth while doing immature young girl shit. Whoop-de-damn-do © Derrick Coleman. Not necessarily saying she's overrated, but Amy's character is clearly the soul of the movie and she deserves to get more shine for her performance, mainly because of the different layers she has to wear as a character.

As far as the dudes go, Bradley Cooper impressed yet again, we already know how good Batman is, and Jeremy Renner was solid as well.

The surprise cameos were also great and very funny.

The movie was cool, it felt like what we think would happen if Sony threw some money at David O. Russell, independent filmmaker, and told him to go shoot whatever he wanted. Not mad at it, just not sure it's worth all of the praise it's bound to get, here and elsewhere.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gotta hear both sides