Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectso what historically inaccurate flaw would you have given jackie?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=625846&mesg_id=647104
647104, so what historically inaccurate flaw would you have given jackie?
Posted by theprofessional, Mon Apr-15-13 12:44 PM
or the other characters? this is what i'm talking about. people complaining that the fiim isn't nuanced or complex enough, that the characters are too much one way or another, tell me what your jackie robinson movie looks like.

and he wasn't a saint, BTW. they said right off the bat he had a temper. first scene between him and rickey, it looked like he was gonna level the old man. standing in the batter's box listening to the phillies manager, you could see him boiling to the point where he immediately afterwards goes to the tunnel, breaks down, and destroys his bat. the only reason those sequence don't have more tension is that we know jackie never decked branch rickey or left a batters box to take a bat to an opposing manager. in a fictional story, we'd wonder if that's where it was going. a biopic is kind of limited (in the broad strokes at least) to the reality of what actually happened. let me say that again before you tell me about your jackie robinson movie. a biopic is limited to the reality of what actually happened. given those constraints, i thought helgeland handled the subject matter quite brilliantly.