Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAlso this: re: the "Mogul" podcast about Christ Lighty ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3015636&mesg_id=3015752
3015752, Also this: re: the "Mogul" podcast about Christ Lighty ...
Posted by Brew, Thu May-02-19 08:50 PM
I listened to this podcast last year sometime (it was great, btw, for those who haven't heard it) and so when you brought up this Warren G/LL thing I kept having this nagging feeling that I'd heard a positive story about Warren and LL before but couldn't remember where.

Thought a little harder and found it:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/mogul/2oh983/part-3-rice-pilaf

I looked at the transcript to pull the below exchange that I'd been thinking about. Obviously based on this it doesn't sound like they ever had any beef, but then again I wouldn't necessarily expect G to reference their beef on a podcast that isn't about that. I'd love to know more about how this whole story, how and why they had beef, etc. Like we talked about I could listen to/read about this west coast shit all day every and never ever get tired of it.

Anyway I pulled this from the part where Warren was talking about how Lighty had recruited him and wanted to sign him but first had to fly him out to NY to show him around (I'd like to make specific note of the blatant disrespect shown to The Twinz here by not capitalizing their name nor fucking spelling it right lol):

Warren G: They flew me to New York. I’d never been on an airplane. Me and the twins.

Matthew: Who were the twins?

Warren G: They was one of my groups. Told my buddies, “Y’all come with me.” The first night I stayed there I was just chilling, enjoying being in New York, able to order whatever I want. Steaks, whatever, liquor, in my room. Me and the twins we was lifted. We went down to Times Square. We was on 47th and 2nd at the Embassy Suites. So the next morning I get a phone call. And I was like, “Hello?” And it was like, “Hey, this is LL Cool J. I’m downstairs, come here.” So I was like, “Huh?” So hung the phone up, so he called back and was like, “Yo, this is LL. I’m downstairs, man. Come down, I want to holler at you.” So I said, “Okay.” So I called twin. I was like, “Man, come with me down stairs. There’s some dude sitting up here telling me he’s LL Cool J. Let me see who the fuck this is. So uh, back then you could get on the plane with guns. I had a glock. And so we went downstairs. Sure enough it was LL Cool J. Jump in the car with him.

Matthew: Did you have the gun with you?

Warren G: Yeah. He didn’t know it. Because he probably wouldn’t have let me get in the car. We went to Queens, went shopping at the mall. He took me to his house. Showed me how he started, with all his clothes laid down in the basement. Just really laid it out to me on how, you know, how his story was. How he built himself and how he, you know, what it took. And I thought that was the greatest shit ever, because I was—I am still, and I was a humongous fan of LL Cool J. So that really, like, blew my mind. Just to meet him and be in the fucking car with him. All of that came from working for Chris Lighty, man.