Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLol, yeah that LL being there for the Chronic or Doggystyle...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3015636&mesg_id=3015715
3015715, Lol, yeah that LL being there for the Chronic or Doggystyle...
Posted by DJR, Wed May-01-19 09:34 PM
it almost felt made up, except....why the hell would LL need to make that up and why would Dre go along with it without missing a beat? So I believe it.

But yeah, in that era? I know they had gone on tour before, but every clique and rapper that was a major star(and let’s face it, from different coasts) felt so major back then and had their own thing going that it kinda blew my mind that LL was at Death Row Studios in the early 90s. I just assumed they would’ve been cordial but wouldn’t have really messed with each other like that.

And when Dre brought up Warren G and LL said something like “shoutout Warren G!”, the music nerd(who was a big fan on both of them at the time) side of me is wondering “what was up with Warren’s verse on ‘What We Go Through’”? Was that a beef? A weird type of shout out? I know I’ve heard Warren talk about how when he was first signing with Def Jam(in 94?) how he looked up to LL, but that song was ‘97. So what the hell was up with that verse? I’m amazed in 22 years its never come close to being discussed on record, as far as I know. I might be one of the few that cares. What I would give to hear LL and Dre talk about that story though, lol.

Also, I think I like “Zoom” more than 99.9999% of the population. I still remember catching that video for the first time in one of my high school basketball teammates basements after practice and another teammate saying something like “LL’s all smiling in the video and Dre’s looking at the camera all tough trying to be all hardcore! This is perfect!” Lol. That song low key knocked though. I liked post Death Row/Pre shock value Eminem Dre a lot more than most. Wish he would’ve been more successful and continue on that path, personally. It was kinda sad that shit didn’t sell(another would be great question for someone like LL who can get Dre to talk to ask, lol). LL said something about “Been There Done That”, and Dre was like “yeah, that shit just did ok. It was aight”, and they kept it moving.

As I recall, Dre seemed to be making a conscious effort to move beyond all that Death Row dumb shit, but it didn’t fully hit so he went right back to at least talking the dumb shit with Eminem.