Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI have to say no and that's fine.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3014605&mesg_id=3014621
3014621, I have to say no and that's fine.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Mar-14-19 08:21 PM
Like the other posters have mentioned, the music landscape is at least two generations removed from Dre's heyday (Chronic 2001, Get Rich or Die Trying). Music, especially the sounds and ways artists blow is completely different from when Dre broke in. He'd have to really re-invent himself and I wouldn't see why he would want to do that except to prove something that doesn't need proving, that he's one of the greatest producers of the last forty years.

But it's not a knock on Dre's musical abilities or imagination that he isn't the best producer this far into his career. All producers or creatives have their prime and Dre, like most musicians his age, is settling into a new phase of his life. He's got money, he seems to have a stable family life now. Good for him.

If he wants to keep putting out music that's fine. I'd at least give it a listen.

It would be strange to hear a Dre album that wasn't an event though. He was like MJ in a sense. Both artists released relatively few albums over their career and so when they did, it was an event to pay attention to.