Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI don't even know what defines a "hit" album anymore
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3014605&mesg_id=3014620
3014620, I don't even know what defines a "hit" album anymore
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Mar-14-19 06:01 PM
I know that the Dre/Jimmy Iovine documentary series on HBO probably has had a most lasting impact on his legacy than the "Compton" album.

If he's going to have another bonafide "hit" or his Santana/Quincy Jones album, he's going to have to dig up some new young talent, and I don't know if he has that ability anymore. Anderson Paak was the only success story from "Compton." I don't even know what happened to Justus or King Mez. And, like you said, people are blaming Dre for "Oxnard" falling flat.

>The Kendrick stuff is dope. I am not sure how much of it is
>Dre influenced (please school me).

It's always been my understanding that Kendrick was more of Jimmy Iovine project that Dre's name got attached pretty far along the process. Sorta similar to how 50 Cent was an Eminem guy. Only other recent artist that you could say was a Dre "product" that made it big was Game. (who, of course, briefly got wedged into G-Unit)

>It might be tempting to right him off giving his age and the
>sound that he is known for. But we've seen the error of
>forgetting about Dre before right?

Again, I think the landscape has changed so much that I don't even know if a "Chronic" or a "2001" album would even work in today's market, much less "Back On the Block."

Now, a lot of that has to do with the almost complete elimination of artist development by labels. Artists are pretty much expected to do all the leg-work to blow themselves up on platforms like Soundcloud, and then get a label sign them and further increase their exposure.

So, there's very little of, "I'm Dr. Dre, and this is my new artist, Snoop Dogg. You've never heard of him but he's going to be all over my new album. Then I'm going to produce his debut album." It's more, "I'm Blueface, and this my song 'Thotiana.' Hey, Cash Money West, sign me so I can get my endorsement deals."