Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThink Dr. Dre got another massive hit album in him?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3014605
3014605, Think Dr. Dre got another massive hit album in him?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
I hear now that Andersen Paak is sub blaming Dr. Dre for the poor reception of Oxnard.

Even before that I was thinking that the Straight Out of Compton Soundtrack was pretty forgettable.

The Kendrick stuff is dope. I am not sure how much of it is Dre influenced (please school me).

It might be tempting to right him off giving his age and the sound that he is known for. But we've seen the error of forgetting about Dre before right?

What yall think?

Poll question: Think Dr. Dre got another massive hit album in him?

Poll result (26 votes)
Hell Yeah (3 votes)Vote
Doubt it. (23 votes)Vote

3014607, Red, but he's not automatic anymore
Posted by Marbles, Thu Mar-14-19 02:31 PM

I definitely think he's got it in him but I'm not blindly buying Dre-produced material expecting it to be dope.
3014614, I know he has at least a quincy jones "back on the block", Santana
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Mar-14-19 03:35 PM
all-star album in him.

I wonder if he has a streetbanger turn today's club up in him.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
3014608, Hit? No.
Posted by DJR, Thu Mar-14-19 02:54 PM
I think he can make a quality album.

But sounds change, and the listening public is judgemental as hell. Dre is ancient to the younger crowd. And I can’t see Dre making the type of bullshit that accounts for most of the hits now.
3014612, does he have the music in the vault? I believe so. will he release it?
Posted by sweeneykovar, Thu Mar-14-19 03:23 PM
that's another story.

I'm waiting for his grown man instrumental album.
3014619, Mansa Musa was dope so I'm not sure Dre's lost it
Posted by OKdamn, Thu Mar-14-19 05:43 PM
3014620, I don't even know what defines a "hit" album anymore
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Mar-14-19 06:01 PM
I know that the Dre/Jimmy Iovine documentary series on HBO probably has had a most lasting impact on his legacy than the "Compton" album.

If he's going to have another bonafide "hit" or his Santana/Quincy Jones album, he's going to have to dig up some new young talent, and I don't know if he has that ability anymore. Anderson Paak was the only success story from "Compton." I don't even know what happened to Justus or King Mez. And, like you said, people are blaming Dre for "Oxnard" falling flat.

>The Kendrick stuff is dope. I am not sure how much of it is
>Dre influenced (please school me).

It's always been my understanding that Kendrick was more of Jimmy Iovine project that Dre's name got attached pretty far along the process. Sorta similar to how 50 Cent was an Eminem guy. Only other recent artist that you could say was a Dre "product" that made it big was Game. (who, of course, briefly got wedged into G-Unit)

>It might be tempting to right him off giving his age and the
>sound that he is known for. But we've seen the error of
>forgetting about Dre before right?

Again, I think the landscape has changed so much that I don't even know if a "Chronic" or a "2001" album would even work in today's market, much less "Back On the Block."

Now, a lot of that has to do with the almost complete elimination of artist development by labels. Artists are pretty much expected to do all the leg-work to blow themselves up on platforms like Soundcloud, and then get a label sign them and further increase their exposure.

So, there's very little of, "I'm Dr. Dre, and this is my new artist, Snoop Dogg. You've never heard of him but he's going to be all over my new album. Then I'm going to produce his debut album." It's more, "I'm Blueface, and this my song 'Thotiana.' Hey, Cash Money West, sign me so I can get my endorsement deals."
3014639, that blueface dude is terrible lol
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Mar-15-19 03:05 PM
I don't even think he cares about rhyming well. I'm an old head, but not a young people hater, but he just doesn't know how to flow on beat.

he was on the breakfast club and they mentioned it. paraphrasing, but his response was something like "I'm off beat?". lol

3014660, Respect my Cryp'n! (c) Blueface
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sun Mar-17-19 07:40 PM
3014687, i just heard about him
Posted by fontgangsta, Mon Mar-18-19 03:21 PM
and only because i follow MMA and apparently conor mcg got into some shit leaving his miami concert
googled him...woooooow.
i generally make it a point not to shit on what the kids are listening to - it aint for me. thats fine. But i can still identify talent, skill, artistry, etc.
this cat has NADA
3014621, I have to say no and that's fine.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Mar-14-19 08:21 PM
Like the other posters have mentioned, the music landscape is at least two generations removed from Dre's heyday (Chronic 2001, Get Rich or Die Trying). Music, especially the sounds and ways artists blow is completely different from when Dre broke in. He'd have to really re-invent himself and I wouldn't see why he would want to do that except to prove something that doesn't need proving, that he's one of the greatest producers of the last forty years.

But it's not a knock on Dre's musical abilities or imagination that he isn't the best producer this far into his career. All producers or creatives have their prime and Dre, like most musicians his age, is settling into a new phase of his life. He's got money, he seems to have a stable family life now. Good for him.

If he wants to keep putting out music that's fine. I'd at least give it a listen.

It would be strange to hear a Dre album that wasn't an event though. He was like MJ in a sense. Both artists released relatively few albums over their career and so when they did, it was an event to pay attention to.
3014640, not likely.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Mar-15-19 03:06 PM
I just think he has the motivation to do music like that.
3014646, LOL @ blaming Dre for Oxnard
Posted by spirit, Fri Mar-15-19 10:39 PM
What label does he think would have gotten that album to pop? Artists have to start being realistic. He would have been better off being indie. There is no real chart success in making the kind of music he makes. The best label for him might have been TDE but even they mainly only succeed with rappers (named Kendrick or Schoolboy Q).

Edit: how many black artists not named Drake or (to a lesser degree) Kendrick make “massive hit albums” any more? All that shit is dead. The question is, can Dre make a good album? I don’t think Dre has made a full length I’ve cared about since 2001 and I liked that less than The Chronic (I rank Streetz Iz A Mutha over 2001, personally).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
3014661, Sadly, that time has passed.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sun Mar-17-19 07:46 PM
He should have embarked on it around 2013 when Kendrick first caught on. But then again, he all but completely stopped making beats as he lost his edge.
3014669, Yeah, but I don't think he wants to.
Posted by phemom, Mon Mar-18-19 09:23 AM
If he wanted another hit he'd make another record (like most of the album) with Snoop or Game or Nipsey or Busta or just about any non-swag/soundcloud rapper in the West.

That said, he hasn't even attempted. He's had artists he could've tried with...and still does (I'm never getting a real Jon Connor album, I've accepted it) but I just don't think he's interested.

I just wish he'd release anything he's actually done lately. Dre (and help) beats don't happen often enough. Fuck making a hit record, just put out stuff he is actually interested.

Dre mixed Oxnard, and sonically it sounds great....so I don't think Dre has lost a step, he just doesn't want to come off the bench.

It's interesting looking at the path of the former "super-producers". Most of them aren't even trying besides Swizz & Pharrell these days.
3014683, No, Not At All
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Mon Mar-18-19 01:30 PM
If people didn't think "Compton" was a big hit return then he will never make another "Chronic" or a "2001", unless he just release all his vaulted material that hasn't leaked already.

He's not the only producer I use to think could do no wrong and took years to release another album and when it dropped it wasn't close to their legendary status but was decent at most.

3014686, i dont see why he cant make a dope LP for HIS era...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Mar-18-19 03:10 PM
...i know that seems crazy ...but if other legacy artists can do it, why can't he?

3014691, Depends on who he works with doesn’t it?
Posted by FunkyBoss, Mon Mar-18-19 09:31 PM
His massive albums have been collabos more than solo work
3014809, I think he's finished
Posted by Gumbo, Sat Mar-23-19 06:15 PM
This is why i always say that DJ Premiere is the GOAT producer. He hasn't ever made anything wack.
3014866, I don’t know, I thought the production was good on Compton
Posted by DJR, Tue Mar-26-19 05:29 PM
The problem with that album was the delivery and vocals of the majority of the rapping.
3014868, He didn't do any of the beats on Compton tho lol
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-26-19 07:51 PM
>RE: I don’t know, I thought the production was good on Compton
>The problem with that album was the delivery and vocals of
>the majority of the rapping.
3014869, lol, damn
Posted by DJR, Tue Mar-26-19 08:06 PM
3014839, I don't wanan hear STREET TALES from 50 year olds lol
Posted by isaaaa, Mon Mar-25-19 04:20 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com
3014856, only if he keeps it 100% him and not try to catch the current sounds
Posted by double negative, Tue Mar-26-19 11:57 AM
Snoop been relevant for years, Dre could possibly make the same magic happen again but it would only work if he pushed his sound while also not trying to make g-funk trap
3014875, Not one I'd care about, anyway...
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Mar-27-19 11:02 AM
It will likely do numbers because it's Dre. May have a a few bangers (no more than 3 is my guess). But I doubt it ages well and likely won't be my cup of tea.