Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I think Game Theory knocked right away.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3014048&mesg_id=3014483
3014483, RE: I think Game Theory knocked right away.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Mar-09-19 06:59 PM
Some people think that GT is their best or in the top 3 in their discography so the album must have really connected from the beginning with you.

I think the three big songs (Don't Feel Right / In the Music / Here I Come) worked for me from the beginning, but the other songs took more time to sink in.

Every album after Phrenology has been 'dark' or moody in some way and while I've come to appreciate them in their own way, my image of the band is still them in their DYWM and IH days where they were more vital and less reflective in their music.

So, when the new albums come out I'm still filtering the new music through that old lens. Probably isn't fair to the group but that's what ends up happening.

When I was younger, I preferred music that was more reflective or 'soulful', so I ought to be all over the new direction of the band. But it just hasn't clicked. I guess with adult responsibilities I look at music with more of an intent to escape. Not necessarily right probably, but that's where I'm at.