Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: i would assume when the CD drops...very strange rollout
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3013026&mesg_id=3015508
3015508, RE: i would assume when the CD drops...very strange rollout
Posted by BlakStaar, Tue Apr-23-19 02:08 PM
I don’t think it’s all that strange considering the way the music industry is these days, e.g. surprise albums, etc.

Everyone is just kind of doing their own thing, trying out new shit. Perhaps delaying the streaming release made the RSD vinyl release feel more exclusive, in demand?

One trend I don’t like is how physical releases don’t come out until after streaming/digital purchases have been out for some time. I’ve seen delays between digital availability and physical release that spanned MONTHS. I’m not talking about surprise digital-exclusive releases, of course.

I don’t like paying for the same album twice, unless it’s deliberate or intentional, or if I really, really, really like the artist and want to support them.

I also don’t like how the vinyl format is often available before CD instead of the same time. I understand that vinyl is the physical format of choice at the moment but CDs are cheap and easy to produce swiftly.

Example: Marvin Gaye’s You’re the Man LP dropped in March (and is sold out or on back order on most major sites). The CD ain’t coming out to this Friday, April 26. SMH.