Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: 2019 Winter Jazz Fest NYC Hargrove Tribute Chris Dave, Bilal, Gary Bartz, et al
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3012985&mesg_id=3014061
3014061, RE: 2019 Winter Jazz Fest NYC Hargrove Tribute Chris Dave, Bilal, Gary Bartz, et al
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Feb-20-19 07:18 PM
Oops. I forgot to post about this. Overall, the Bowery Ballroom performances on Saturday, January 12 were great.

I walked in just as Georgia was starting her set with Justin Brown NYEUSI. She said it was the first time she had performed the songs live, and it was amazing.

Naturally, Bilal, James Poyser, Chris Dave and the Drumhedz with Thundercat all performed well. Renee Neufville popped up for the Roy Hargrove tribute and sounded divine live. She really ought to release a solo album. It kills me that she doesn't have more material out there.

I forgot the name of the Black male vocalist that appeared to be filling in for vocalist Chris Turner for Chris Dave's set but he sounded amazing.

Now, I will say that Chris Dave's set seemed to drag on toward the end, and low-key, I'm slightly disappointed because I thought Mos Def/Yasiin Bey or some other OKP-favorite would make a surprise appearance. Of course, Bilal popped into the Drumhedz set because that's just what Bilal does. He never disappoints. Thundercat performed "Them Changes." I wish he had an opportunity to perform more of his own work during his appearance, which was a "surprise" announced by festival organizers the morning of the show.

I missed Mark de Clive-Lowe's performance, which was to promote his new album, Heritage. I refused to leave the Bowery Ballroom after finally landing a decent standing spot upstairs. I'm going to have to catch one of his shows sometime this year. He's based in LA and I haven't been to Cali in six years!