Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMan season 1 is so fucking good.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3012982&mesg_id=3013070
3013070, Man season 1 is so fucking good.
Posted by Brew, Sat Jan-05-19 01:48 PM
And actually what you said about how decent Tony seemed at the end of s1 is one of my main complaints about the way the series ended. Not talking about the final episode specifically (which I loved), but rather just the general feel and tone of the final season (both parts) overall. For the first 5 seasons, there was obviously a lot of disturbing subject matter, dark themes, and hatetable actions/characters, but there was also always a sort of secondary undertone of humor and joy. I laughed out loud at so many Sopranos moments in those first 5 seasons.

The final season was almost 100% darkness and misery, with very little of the first 5 seasons' trademark goofiness and humor. I missed that.

I still loved the last season, to be sure ... and thought everything was exceptionally well put together throughout both parts of s6. But upon revisiting the series beginning to end a couple of times, I noticed just how far the series shifted to straight up darkness in that final season.

Obviously I understand that the storylines explored in s6 (the war with NY/Tony being a marked man, etc.) don't really lend themselves to a lot of humor, I just didn't expect that they would ditch the fun entirely.