Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectName artists you slept on for no good reason
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3011817
3011817, Name artists you slept on for no good reason
Posted by darrylclark, Sat Nov-24-18 04:52 PM
I slept on Royce for damn ever! I knew he was nice but I was busy chasing elsewhere. But, damn it, he is one of the greatest.
3011874, Same with Royce. But my shame is I slept on Dr. Dre.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-26-18 03:04 PM
Wait let me explain!!!

I was generally underwhelmed at the time with the G Funk era. Namely because my dad was heavy into funk and I thought it was just easy recycling of music I knew really well. I felt like he was doing what Puffy was doing sampling super recognizable beats.

It wasn't until the Chronic 2001 did I start to recognize the production value of what he was doing. Actually Death Row released a live instrument album before that and I started appreciating the musicianship of Dre.

That's all.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
3012010, Wait wait wait, Death Row released a live instrument album? huh
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Nov-28-18 10:24 PM
3012282, Instrumental maybe? I know my homie had that
Posted by tully_blanchard, Wed Dec-05-18 09:58 AM

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s
3011899, Budden.
Posted by murderbear, Mon Nov-26-18 07:12 PM
Besides being aware of Pump It Up, I've never actually heard anything else he's ever made. It wasn't until I started listening to the podcast and was in the gym one day that I decided to give his playlist some run. Can't believe it took me this long
3012004, he had a broken wings freestyle that sold me
Posted by Playa_Politician, Wed Nov-28-18 06:41 PM
before that i just knew him as the pump it up guy. haven't checked much for him since either but man he killed that shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekG1Ci_RSbE
3011929, MOP, at first
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Nov-27-18 11:53 AM
How About Some Hardcore came out on the House Party 3 soundtrack. I figured 'how hard can these guys really be?'. Then I heard 'Worlds Famous' on DJ Clue's Spring Break mixtape.

I've been doing penance ever since
3012222, Jay-Z is the biggest one
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Dec-03-18 07:36 PM
My boy had Reasonable Doubt back in '96. He loved Jay but I just couldn't get into it. I'm usually behind the curve on shifts in music and Jay's style and East Coast specific beats were too much for a St. Louisan to swallow in high school.

I kind of went back and listened to Reasonable Doubt at some point in my mid to late twenties and really liked it. His energy on the mic was undeniable.

Because I was a backpacker, looking back, I didn't really get into Jay-Z until The Black Album. At that point, ?uest and The Roots gave him some cred that I didn't he deserved but on the strength of their record, I bought the album.

It was really dope to me. I think I respected Jay's lyricism but his production always seemed lackluster to me, at least the more pop songs, I listened to which he released to that point.

I still didn't like Change Clothes but by then I bought the album and dug Dirt off Ya Shoulder and 99 Problems.

I've bought songs off of every Jay album since. Kingdom Come was a bit of a step back but there were songs on there that I really liked and the same with The Blueprint III. 4:44 was dope too.

I also dug a lot of his features from Kanye and Freeway and Beanie Segal from the mid 2000's.

Charles Mingus was another great artist I slept on. My dad is really into jazz but he didn't play Mingus at all. I didn't learn about him until I was doing some digging into the influences for Kid A where Thom Yorke mentioned a song of Mingus' was an influence for The National Anthem.

Later in my early 30's I think, Ken Burns released his Jazz doc and Mingus had a collection of songs sold as a CD. I picked it up and was awed by the versatility and artistry of the songs. One of the virtuosos of the 20th Century.

I kinda slept on Biggie as well.

I was big into Death Row, which looking back was kinda odd since I was a teetotaler as a kid when Death Row was hittin. Anyway, while I respected Big's talents, I never really listened to him like I did the Death Row artists.

But later on in my 20's I got into Ready to Die. It would be some time until I got into Life After Death. (Truth be told, being a backpacker prevented me from listening to some dope music when it dropped.)

That album is too long, but there are some dope cuts there.
3012254, RE: Jay-Z is the biggest one
Posted by Original Juice, Tue Dec-04-18 05:34 PM
This sounds like me..

Backpacker who came around circa the Black Album.
3012227, I just got into Sleater-Kinney like last week
Posted by Kosa12, Mon Dec-03-18 09:10 PM
and I'm a big Sonic Youth fan (one of their main influences). How much I like the music...almost makes me feel stupid (if that makes any sense)