Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew D’angelo- Unshaken
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3010791
3010791, New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by The Big ED, Sun Oct-28-18 12:50 PM
Fast forward to 10:00 minute mark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000wg2

Song for Red Dead Redemption 2, pretty dope to me.
3010792, pretty damn great
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun Oct-28-18 01:33 PM
3010795, RE: New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by Original Juice, Sun Oct-28-18 02:08 PM
Is it pitched down, or is he just singing at a much lower vocal register than usual?

Either way, I like it.

3010796, RE: New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by The Big ED, Sun Oct-28-18 02:15 PM
I think he’s just singing at a lower register. Also couldn’t help but notice that i can understand what he’s saying bettter than most of his songs although I never really have had an issue with his mumbling style.

This is some futuristic steampunk soul-blues shit though
3010799, RE: New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by Original Juice, Sun Oct-28-18 06:42 PM
>I think he’s just singing at a lower register. Also
>couldn’t help but notice that i can understand what he’s
>saying bettter than most of his songs although I never really
>have had an issue with his mumbling style.
>
>This is some futuristic steampunk soul-blues shit though

Agreed

However to me it sounds more bluesy spaghetti westernish.. Like a lost track off the Django Unchained sdtrk
3010800, RE: New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by The Big ED, Sun Oct-28-18 06:57 PM
Def sounds like a cut from Django.

My first gut reaction was the True Detective theme lol
3010890, RE: True Detective theme
Posted by Original Juice, Tue Oct-30-18 11:22 AM
Yes! good call
3010821, Perfect description
Posted by cbk, Mon Oct-29-18 10:28 AM
>This is some futuristic steampunk soul-blues shit though

🤘🤘🤘

3010803, pretty freakn dope.
Posted by araQual, Sun Oct-28-18 10:28 PM
i could do with a whole album of moody shit like this.

V.
3010849, Cool, wasn’t expecting this
Posted by betelgeuse, Mon Oct-29-18 04:38 PM
Wonder who wrote this/plays on this.

I hear a bit of Cee-lo/Gnarls Barkley too.
3010874, RE: Cool, wasn’t expecting this
Posted by Vhien, Tue Oct-30-18 12:38 AM
Some of the in game credits have it listed as so:

Unshaken
D'Angelo
Written by Daniel Landis, Rocco DeLuca and Michael Eugene Archer
Published by Daniel Landis Songs (ASCAP)
Administered by Penny Farthing Music, c/o Concord Music Publishing; Aunt Dolly Music (BMI); Universal Polygram Publishing Inc. o/b/o Ah Choo Music Publishing (ASCAP)
D'Angelo - Electric Piano/Vocals
Daniel Landis - Guitar
Brian Blade - Drums
Cyril Neville - Percussion
Daryl Johnson - Percussion
D'Angelo appears courtesy of RCA Records
Courtesy of Rockstar Games Inc.

Also, it looks like Daniel Landis did a slew of songs for the game, including one by performed by Rhiannon Giddens (Who at one time was with the Carolina Chocolate Drops group) titled "Moonlight Open Hymn".
3010868, direct link
Posted by Options, Mon Oct-29-18 09:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=278&v=obJuKmMjFG4

really diggin' this.
3010892, love this
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-30-18 12:15 PM
>
3010899, This is really, really good
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Oct-30-18 02:29 PM
Fits my life and mood right now. Kudos to D'
3010927, Reminds me of Martin Luther for some reason..
Posted by tzt2004, Tue Oct-30-18 10:47 PM
I love it, but kind of gives me martin luther vibes. Like something he would have made.
3010928, non-game version
Posted by araQual, Tue Oct-30-18 11:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ePzOhheNM.

V.
3010935, Great music week for me...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Wed Oct-31-18 05:42 AM
...heard new stuff from Dangelo AND Chaka on the same day? And they're BOTH Nooice!

Thats a good week!

(to be fair, I'm a tad late on the Chaka, its been out for a minute)

but yes, I am loving this D cut...haunting little track for sure.
3010938, Pretty good song
Posted by spirit, Wed Oct-31-18 08:25 AM

Wonder what D has in the vault from those James River sessions.

>Fast forward to 10:00 minute mark.
>
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000wg2
>
>Song for Red Dead Redemption 2, pretty dope to me.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
3010955, Hear hear n/m
Posted by betelgeuse, Wed Oct-31-18 02:07 PM
3011620, so...this has sunken in...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Nov-18-18 08:32 AM
...was finally able to settle in with some headphones and give this track a few good solid listens this autumn morn while walking my dog.... and damned if i didnt get the chills (from the song, not from the brisk weather, which i actually love ;)...

this cut is absolutely beautiful. Haunting, evocative...as good as anything i've heard from D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-WEZRpWuA

i would love to know the context of which the lyrics were written...i know they work for me on multiple levels...

anyone know the whens & whys & whats of 'Unshaken's creation?

3011646, the context is to be found in red dead redemption 2.
Posted by shockzilla, Mon Nov-19-18 10:10 AM
3011650, so I don't do video games, but are you saying....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Mon Nov-19-18 10:29 AM
....I don't do video games at all, so I know nothing of that world....but I DO know, based on the original post, that the song is 'being used' in that video game 'Red Dead Redemption 2'.... my question is, was the song itself 'written specifically FOR' the Red Dead Redemption Game itself, or was the song a track something that was 'already created' that the video game company heard and subsequently felt like it would work with one of their characters?
3011705, it was made specifically for the game
Posted by araQual, Tue Nov-20-18 07:17 AM
i'm pretty sure it was done by the in-house writers and producers at Rockstar (mostly helmed by Woody Jackson, score-wise). not 100% on the credits, but i think D either wrote and sang it, or just came in and sang it. it's meant to get you right in the feels during a specific point in the game where the lead character has gone through the shit, with still more shit to come. very much a song made for the game, not somethin D had lying around in the archives.

the first RDR had a similar song and 'moment'.

(i don't play the games but i love watchin the cut-scene 'movies' gamers make of em on youtube).

V.
3011706, thanks! thats some of the context i was looking for...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Tue Nov-20-18 10:06 AM
>RE: it was made specifically for the game
>i'm pretty sure it was done by the in-house writers and
>producers at Rockstar (mostly helmed by Woody Jackson,
>score-wise). not 100% on the credits, but i think D either
>wrote and sang it, or just came in and sang it. it's meant to
>get you right in the feels during a specific point in the game
>where the lead character has gone through the shit, with still
>more shit to come. very much a song made for the game, not
>somethin D had lying around in the archives.
>

...thanks for the info. This damn track is moving and haunting as hell, and the production on it is juuuust right for the mood....really diggin it...

have you listened to
her stuff?
v
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.meshell.com/site/
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)
3011738, dude. it's like...song of the year
Posted by araQual, Wed Nov-21-18 05:08 AM
i don't think i've stopped listening to it since it dropped. it's actually dangerously close to being my fav D' song of all time.
which is a huge thing to say, but my band and i have been on this very same vibe for the last 2 years straight. then D' just came outta nowhere and summed up in 5.5mins the entire sounds n vibe we've been on for 2+yrs lol.

i also ended up googling some of the lyrics and found the main chorus is actually paraphrasing a quote by Paramahansa Yogananda:

"the purpose of the guru is not to weaken your will. it is to teach you secrets of developing your inner power, until you can stand unshaken amidst the crash of breaking worlds".

awesomeness all around.

V.
3012754, nice!
Posted by Options, Thu Dec-20-18 09:45 AM
>i also ended up googling some of the lyrics and found the main chorus is actually paraphrasing a quote by Paramahansa Yogananda:

somehow I sensed the hook was a direct reference to something. kudos for that Rolling Stone link too
3011790, anyone got a CDQ mp3?
Posted by Eddy, Fri Nov-23-18 06:30 AM
3011806, i second that
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Nov-24-18 05:59 AM
3011830, this is the best and most complete version
Posted by araQual, Sun Nov-25-18 04:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=lm-WEZRpWuA.

it's 1080p.

V.
3011831, RE: this is the best and most complete version
Posted by OKBrindavan, Sun Nov-25-18 10:09 AM
Thank you!
3012053, This is still excellent
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Nov-29-18 05:59 PM
been listening to this a lot. love it.
3012736, D’Angelo Fucking Loves Playing ‘Red Dead Redemption 2’ (swipe)
Posted by araQual, Wed Dec-19-18 08:26 AM
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/dangelo-red-dead-redemption-2-767748/?fbclid=IwAR3ZP3OlzGMeGHnE1guY7Yjf5qrgAq0P5Xr4Jb95uU7TDLPUbWIRI11bkVI.

How the reclusive R&B auteur ended up on the soundtrack to a video game about the Wild West.

There are few contemporary working artists who maintain a more idiosyncratic release schedule than D’Angelo. He’s famous for tinkering and revising his music, eating up years and hundreds of reels of analog tape on his way to an eventual album. It took him 14 years to follow up 2000’s smash hit Voodoo with his most recent album, Black Messiah. In that time, three U.S. presidents occupied the White House, Facebook was invented, and D’Angelo released precisely zero songs.

So it was a surprise when a new D’Angelo track titled “May I? Stand Unshaken” quietly appeared on YouTube recently. Even more startling: In many of the bootleg clips D’Angelo’s new song soundtracks footage from the wildly popular video game Red Dead Redemption 2.

That’s because the only way listeners can legitimately get their hands on “May I? Stand Unshaken,” which has not been officially released yet, is by buying a copy of the game. “Even RCA had no idea we were doing a song that’s potentially a hit!” says Daniel Lanois, a veteran artist-writer-producer who has a longstanding working relationship with U2 and Bob Dylan and helped craft “May I? Stand Unshaken,” along with the other vocal contributions to the Red Dead Redemption 2 soundtrack. (Representatives for D’Angelo and his manager did not respond to requests for comment.)

Much like a typical D’Angelo album, Red Dead Redemption 2 has been many years in the making: The previous entry in the series came out in 2010. The company tests its games as they are in progress, and one singer was particularly eager to try it out. “D’Angelo’s actually a massive, massive, massive fan of the game — more than I ever knew,” says Ivan Pavlovich, Director of Music and Audio at Rockstar Games, the company behind Red Dead Redemption 2 and other gaming hits like Grand Theft Auto.

D’Angelo reached out to Pavlovich through an unnamed intermediary. “He would come in here and just play the game. We weren’t even talking about doing music,” Pavlovich says. “When D’Angelo comes through, he shows up at midnight, and he’s playing the game until four in the morning. Each time he was just like, ‘it’s incredible.’ It just blows his mind. He’s such a fan. I have never seen someone that excited.”

D’Angelo’s enthusiasm emboldened Pavlovich to ask the singer if he was interested in contributing music to the game. (Though the game also includes singing from Nas, Rhiannon Giddens, Willie Nelson and Josh Homme, most of the score is instrumental.) And when D’Angelo agreed, that gave Pavlovich extra leverage to recruit Lanois to supervise the vocal parts of the soundtrack. “The invitation was, ‘would I write songs?'” the producer remembers. “And then they said, ‘we might be able to hook you up with D’Angelo.’ That’s all it took. I love D’Angelo, and always appreciated those great R&B records he made.”

Lanois says he “was aware of the mythology” surrounding the singer’s release schedule. “ weren’t sure they’d get a track because they know it’s hard to get one finished,” he adds. But, “part of my technique is to remain naive and completely oblivious.”

“May I? Stand Unshaken” is actually a combination of two different songs. The chorus, which was penned in New Orleans, stems from a Hindu proverb that Lanois’ co-writer, Rocco DeLuca, had on his phone. With a sketch of that track, the producer headed to New York to join the R&B singer in the studio. “We had another song in mind, kind of a 6/8 rock track that D’Angelo loved,” Lanois says. “We went after that initially, and it didn’t pan out.”

So Lanois decided to change direction. “I had a New Orleans groove in my back pocket, a percussion track with Brian Blade on the drums and Cyril playing cowbell,” Lanois says. “I fished that out, tied the ‘Unshaken’ chorus on top of it, and then D’Angelo loved what he heard. He’s a great Fender Rhodes player. He played that, I did the guitar, we sang the chorus together as we played the instruments over that rhythm track.” The recording process took a week and a half.

“May I? Stand Unshaken” is from the meditative wing of the D’Angelo catalog, a quiet plea for courage as another test looms. He trades verses with Lanois over a thread of guitar, soft keyboard jabs and don’t-wake-the-baby percussion. The icing here, as with many D’Angelo songs, is the close harmonies strewn beautifully around the lead. “He has a wealth of knowledge on the formation of backing vocals,” Lanois says. “I was very humbled by his capacity.”

“Put yourself in my shoes,” Lanois says. “I’m a French-Canadian kid from Smallsville. Suddenly I’m in New York working with D’Angelo. I’m pinching myself!”

After finishing the track, the producer called Rockstar headquarters. Pavlovich recalls, “He said, ‘I think it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done.'”
---

V.
3012757, sounds like some Dr John voodoo shit. no pun.
Posted by High Society, Thu Dec-20-18 11:45 AM
3013015, D'Angelo's official VEVO just uploaded this joint last night.
Posted by BlakStaar, Fri Jan-04-19 01:00 PM
Now it feels super official. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0AykH20X3Q
3013035, Yeah, his engineer, Ben, spoke on why they couldn't say anything until now
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Jan-04-19 05:38 PM
3013141, RE: Yeah, his engineer, Ben, spoke on why they couldn't say anything until now
Posted by BlakStaar, Tue Jan-08-19 08:25 PM
Was this a news story? YouTube video? Social media post.

Linkage, please.
3013016, RE: New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by BlakStaar, Fri Jan-04-19 01:05 PM
Oh, and it's on Google Play and other sites now, available for purchase.
3013140, RE: New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by steg1, Tue Jan-08-19 08:07 PM
Cyril NEville on cowbell, Brian Blade on drums.

co written w Daniel Lanois

heavy New Orleans vibes!

"“He would come in here and just play the game. We weren’t even talking about doing music,” Pavlovich recounted. “When D’Angelo comes through, he shows up at midnight, and he’s playing the game until four in the morning. Each time he was just like, ‘it’s incredible.’ It just blows his mind. He’s such a fan. I have never seen someone that excited.”

It turns out that Unshaken was an amalgamation of a chorus from Lanois’ co-writer, Rocco DeLuca, and “a New Orleans groove” that consisted of “a percussion track with Brian Blade on the drums and Cyril playing cowbell.

“I fished that out, tied the ‘Unshaken’ chorus on top of it, and then D’Angelo loved what he heard. He’s a great Fender Rhodes player. He played that, I did the guitar, we sang the chorus together as we played the instruments over that rhythm track.”

https://www.vg247.com/2019/01/06/dangelos-unshaken-gets-official-release/
3013171, Absolutely!!
Posted by rainbowchild, Sat Jan-12-19 03:30 PM
Best I've ever heard from D.

Would love to hear his feelings on the passing of his face Yoda..
3013187, RE: New D’angelo- Unshaken
Posted by bski, Sun Jan-13-19 11:49 AM
This shit is gorgeous.

http://twitter.com/collazo