Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectEhh...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3009651&mesg_id=3009674
3009674, Ehh...
Posted by The Analyst, Mon Sep-24-18 02:51 PM
The CD remasters from about 10 years ago were a HUGE step up from the original 1987 CD masters that had been the only previous versions. Those original CD masters were widely considered to be ass, so the significant upgrade was well overdo and extremely well-received by fans and critics.

The only subsequent remaster that I'm aware of was last year's Sgt. Pepper remaster, which was less a remaster than a complete and fairly drastic re-imagining of the stereo mix, going well beyond just tinkering with some levels here and there. The stereo mix was an afterthought when they made it, as the format was still fairly new at the time. The rationale for the new mix was that they were able to do things with the music mix that the band wanted to do in '67 but were technologically unable to do. A very interesting listen for people who know the album inside and out but not worth buying unless you're a hardcore fan. (I am, if you couldn't tell.)

The draw here for the white album, though, is the unreleased stuff. For those who have heard the Anthology material from the mid 90s, a lot of it really is a revelation. These aren't, like, mildly different alternate takes, but a huge window into the creative process, hearing acoustic demos morph into early arrangements, and continue to be changed - often significantly - until they made it to the final state that made the albums.

I don't care too much about demos and outtakes from most bands/artists, but for the Beatles it's usually really interesting and enjoyable to listen to.