Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNo, I don't think Busta was in there. His name might be in the credits
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3006996&mesg_id=3007034
3007034, No, I don't think Busta was in there. His name might be in the credits
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Jun-29-18 09:59 PM
I listened to this album regularly when it dropped. When the songs come on my Spotify list I'm glad to hear them.

But this album reminds me of the Presidential Election of '16 so it's hard to revisit this album simply because of all of the dread that was around when this dropped.

This album is also a good form of encouragement to focus on social issues and bust back at the system of oppression our country seemingly can't stop. It's protest music that I don't think Tribe ever chose to engage in during their run which I think shows how the band had matured over the years.

I liked the video. Like Airbreed, the editing didn't 'quite' work out. But I think the visuals of Tip and the group in the robes and watching Tip and the faceless White man worked well along with the design of the spaceship and even the use of the glowing orb to represent Phife.

I was just posting on Facebook as I shared the video how unexpectedly sad I was watching the video as it is not official that this album and this video is the last anyone will see of Tribe as a whole. We'll still have Tip and also the other affiliated artists. But Tribe was the first group that seemed like masters of their craft.

I remember geeking out over LET and MM because of the sonic and sample choices. How Tribe managed to flip the notion of jazz in hip-hop by making a hip-hop album using jazz samples that sounded distinctly hip hop rather than a song like Cantoloupe by US3 which was a jazz song that was only hip-hop because it was fast paced and had rapping over it. And how MM was supposed to be Tribe's gangsta album but because they executed the street talk with the upbeat, innovative, and imaginative samples along with the amazing mixing and mastering, the album came off as classic. It also shows how their image was that Midnight came off as gangsta for them. It sounds so tame now.

Tribe was the soundtrack of my life and were role models to me in the sense that they showed how far intelligence, originality, and positivity could take someone.

I'm getting off pretty far down on Memory Ln. now so I'll end this.

But I do plan on getting back to this album at some point because it is one of the better final albums of a group that I can remember of any group or artist. I'm glad the fans have this record to have as their last then TLM.